Problem: Cannot get Results to work in post processing

I am currently working on modeling flow through a butterfly valve when it is open/closed and at a few other angles. I have gotten the closed version to work and now I am trying to get the open version to work using the same model (Laminar flow, 1-inlet/1-outlet, same flow velocity, same solving methods). However, after multiple attempts I keep getting results that are inf (look at picture below titled 'contour prob'). My continuity is going off the charts so I assumed to change my mesh and make it a higher density, but to no avail. I have tried multiple meshing attempts all different so I am not sure if this is the problem anymore.

Could anyone provide insight onto what may be causing this? Like I said the closed version worked and now all I did was turn the valve to be open in SpaceClaim.

Below I will post a pic of the mesh as well, keep in mind this is just one of MANY meshes I have tried.

Comments

• RobRob UKForum Coordinator
    edited August 2019

Can you put a plane on the y-centre plane? Want to check you've got mesh in the right places.  What are the boundary condition? Also, what's the mesh quality?

• mattsarg55mattsarg55 Member
    edited August 2019

As far as boundary conditions go the only thing I have altered from the norm is the velocity at the inlet to be 24.384 m/s. Walls and interior are not altered, and the outlet pressure is at 0 pa so that we are operating at atmospheric pressure.

Thank you so much for the response this has been driving me nuts lol

edited August 2019

That particulary mesh has a minimum orthogonal quality of 0.00.

a maximum skewness of 1.728177

124 skewed cells

and a cell count of 242852

edited August 2019

That'll definitely not help convergence. Please review where the poor elements are and retry with a mesh that's not got flat elements in it. 

edited August 2019

How would I go about doing this though? Where are my poor elements? How would I make it so these flat elements do not appear?

edited August 2019

In Fluent Meshing insert a mesh improvement operation after "Create Volume Mesh" has completed. There are also some options in the Display menu to view the mesh. 

Assuming the valve touches the outer casing have a look in the geometry for where the valve & casing meet.