Fluent: how can I patch a complex geometry in a solution domain

MahdiMahdi Member Posts: 9

Hello Everyone,

Can you please guide me through a problem i have about patching a volume fraction of secondary phase in a Multiphase flow model in fluent?  

I have a 2D rectangular geometry, and I want to run an Eulerian model in it. A granular phase as a secondary phase is going to be initially occupy a portion of the geometry as a trapezoidal at the bottom of the domain. How can I do this? 

I have attached a picture showing the solution domain. 

Thank you for any reading, and replying. 

Comments

• peteroznewmanpeteroznewman Posts: 13,204Member
    edited September 2019

In the Geometry editor (DesignModeler or SpaceClaim), draw the trapezoidal line and split the body (or face if it is a 2D model) so that you have two bodies (or faces).  If you are in DesignModeler, Form New Part to use Shared Topology. If you are in SpaceClaim, click on the Workbench, then Share button to have the two bodies Share Topology.

• DrAmineDrAmine GermanyPosts: 7,972Forum Coordinator
    edited September 2019
    Either the pretty way described by Peter or via UDF.
  • MahdiMahdi Posts: 31Member
    edited September 2019

Peter and Amine,

Thank you for your suggestions. I am trying to do it with Peter's approach first. 

Peter, I may ask for more details since I am a beginner in DesginModeler.  

Thank you.

• Hi,

I am having a similar issue, however, when I follow the method proposed by peter I can no longer make a structured cube mesh for the whole domain. The meshed has to account for the existence of the complex object inside the domain and mesh it separately. Any idea how can I overcome this?

• RobRob UKPosts: 12,178Forum Coordinator

You can label the two zones and mesh them separately with an unstructured mesh. I'm not sure I understand what the problem is.