Bearing modelling

bokaJbokaJ Member Posts: 10

Dear ladies and gentleman,

I have a very big modell which contains bearings as you can see below. I want to make a global modell to get the deformations and then look in detail with an submodell

fixed bearing:

floating bearing:

I simplified the modell above as you can see below:

fixed bearing area:

floating bearing area:

Then I inserted an bearing joint as you can see on the erxample of the fixed bearing below:

for the floating bearing I inserted following bearing:

Until now I do not know the values for the stiffness, but I hope I will get them from SKF. My main problem is that I am not sure if I modelled the bearing correctly?

Thank you for your answer and best regards,

bokaJ

Best Answer

• 1shan1shan Posts: 576Ansys Employee
    Accepted Answer

Hello @bokaJ,

I would prefer joints unless you are studying rotor dynamics where the bearing stiffness effects stability of shaft modes. Since the forces in individual parts wont be affected by the bearing stiffness you could model it using joints either by creating a solid block(bearing) or directly select the faces where the bearing touches the hub/shaft and define joint between them.

Regards,

Ishan.

Answers

• 1shan1shan Posts: 576Ansys Employee

Hello @bokaJ,

What is the objective of your analysis? Bearing connections are generally used for rotor-dynamics. If you want to perform a muti-body dynamics analysis, and see deformations of components of the assembly you could use a revolute joint and cylindrical joints(allow axial movement) for fixed and floating bearings resp. You could scope them to the surfaces where bearing touches the housing and shaft.

Regards,

Ishan.

• bokaJbokaJ Posts: 31Member

Hello @1shan,

I perform a static structural analysies to find out the deformations and stresses. What would you prefer for this situation? In my opinion I could use a solid block instead of the bearing, but then the stiffness would be way to high.

Thank you very much for helping me again Ishan!

Best regards,

bokaJ

• bokaJbokaJ Posts: 31Member

Thank you very much, I will try that.

Best regards

bokaJ