Transient Structural: Flipping the contact/target faces of a frictional contact changes the results

NikkeNikke Member
edited October 19 in Structures

Hi,

I'm running a pendulum analysis (Structural Dynamics course in Ansys Innovation Courses).

The goal is to study the motion of the pendulum while a frictional contact is causing damping to the motion of the pendulum. However, I noticed that flipping the contact and target faces affects to the results quite a lot.

Model:

-Remote Displacement fixes all 6 DOF of the face of the pin.

-Gravity applied to the Global +Z direction.

-The frictional contact has been defined between the pin and the pendulum. The coefficient of friction is 0.1.

CASE 1:

-Contact definition:

-Total Deformation result: The graph shows that the motion of the pendulum dampens fast after the first oscillation.

CASE 2:

-Contact definition (contact and target faces flipped):

-Total Deformation result: The oscillation of the pendulum dampens remarkably slower.

Any ideas what causes this difference between the results when contact/target faces are flipped? Which way should the contact/target be defined? Does this same effect apply also in Static Structural analyses and contact definition between contact and target faces should be done specific way there too?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• NikkeNikke Member

Thank you @jjdoyle,

I did the mesh refinement and the results match each other now way better. :) Thank you also for the advice with contact settings.