Lillo
Subscriber
Thank you very much for the explanation. It all makes sense now!
I am glad adding color pallet and scaling the result helped you to determine if there is deflection in conical pin or not. Kindly share results if possible.
As you can see we are talking about really small deformations

Are you trying out these mesh methods for conical pin or the special shaped shaft ? Kindly elaborate on what exactly do you wish to do here, unless you got the desired results.
I'm trying out these mesh methods for the special-shaped shaft.
Actually, this is only a first attempt at analysis, so perhaps improving the mesh at this stage is not that important. The true geometry of the pin and shaft are as follows:

As you can see in the following images, I also make the same settings for the analysis on the real geometry by adding a frictionless support so as not to have the cantilever beam (which I think was an error in the previous modeling).
Basically, my goal is to calculate the axial thrust that is applied to the fixed support. This is because in the real application there isn't a fixed support but the pin is held in position by an external force. I couldn't replicate this condition in the static structural simulation environment because the model would have been under-constrained.

However, after your explanation, it occurred to me that the sticking effect on the two contact points could be used to prevent too much force from being discharged axially on the pin. Obviously, this effect is not desired when inserting the pin, so I don't know if it is actually a good thing to continue to explore this path or is better simply analyze the system to determine the force necessary to hold the pin inside its seat in the shaft (which was the initial goal of this analysis). What do you think about it?