peteroznewman
Subscriber
Hello Diana I tried one way to do this, but it was very tedious so I only did 3 out of 5 nodes that would be a complete job for this coarse mesh. I sure hope someone can describe an easier method!
In SpaceClaim, use two components to avoid accidentally using Shared Topology. You need the nodes along the center of the top plate to be separate from the nodes along the top of the vertical plate.
Use Mesh Controls to guarantee the same number of nodes along each edge. Mesh the plates. I used 5 nodes (4 elements) along each center edge.
Hide the vertical plate and make 5 Remote Points, one for each node along the centerline. Invert visibility and make 5 Remote Points, one for each node along the top of the vertical plate. Name each Remote Point so you can pair up the nodes later. For example, I used Vert and Top in the name to know which plate the Remote Point belonged to, then another marker to know which node along the edge it was. Change the DOF Selection to Manual and make Inactive every DOF except for the Y Components.
Under Static Structural, insert a Constraint Equation. Right click to Add a row and fill out a node pair as shown below.
Repeat for every node pair. You can see I have only done 3 node pairs but there are two more node pairs to get that centerline properly connected. Put in the last two and it will look much better!
Attached is an ANSYS 2021 R1 archive.
Methods that are very quick and easy to implement (such as a revolute joint between the two edges) do not work on a local node-to-node basis. A joint will bring all nodes on one edge to a center point to connect to a center point that is connected to all the nodes on the other edge. This will have a similar effect, but if some localized forces are present, for example, on the front edge of the top plate, the error in using a joint will be revealed.