Stephen Orlando
Ansys Employee

Hi Judith,

I have a few more thoughts here on possible solutions. 

1. Run some fluid only simulations, to determine the inlet velocity profile at the extension that produces the desired inlet velocity profile at the fluid inlet. Then run the FSI simulation where the fluid and solid interfaces are conformal and use the newly calculated inlet velocity profile at the extension.

2. It should be possible to use a command snippet in Mechanical to read a report file from Fluent that has the inlet pressure and get the inlet pressure at every timestep. Someone from the Mechanical support team will need to help with this. I’m not sure if *TREAD will work or not.

3. It may be possible to send pressure data to the extension region by adding a second coupling interface for the extension region. I haven't tried this yet, but it's worth trying. You could then use Expressions in System Coupling outside of Workbench to apply a custom force as shown below. Here Area is a built in variable which is a field variable for the area of each face on the target surface. getpressure would be a Python function that would need to read a Report File from Fluent that has the inlet pressure. More info on Python functions here: Expressions in System Coupling (ansys.com)