Mani Bhuma
Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Here is the link to the simulation of solid bodies made of orthotropic materials:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vdAKUp0dghMrUdfFji6ykdBO_ZZDjV8L/view?usp=share_link

In the honeycomb cells model, do I assign double the thickness of those faces by using the 'surface coating' feature?

Please correct me if I am mistaken in the following. Out of the nine constants, the vendor has provided three for me (Young's modulus Z direction, shear modulus YZ, and shear modulus XZ). Then, in each direction a constraint equation of E=2G(1+v) must be maintained. E is Young's modulus, G is shear modulus, and v is Poisson's ratio. Currently, in each direction there are two unknowns in the equation whether it is E and v or G and v. If I was able to extrapolate information on poisson's ratio in each direction I should be able to get the remaining material properties using the equation. Now, this is clearly the difficult part. I thought of running three separate static structurals where there is a fixed support and compressive force in each axis. Then, making estimated guesses on the poisson's ratios until I found relatively similar results in the honeycomb cell model and the solid body model. If I was to find a combination of poisson's ratios that satisify all three static structurals, I'd be quite confident with the material properties. 

However, before I was able to test this theory, I received an issue with modeling the honeycomb cell model itself. As you may have seen in the file I sent, the modal results were unrealistic. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on how I could model the solid body model accurately without the honeycomb cell model. From the link in the beginning of this message, are you able to see any missteps I took in this modelling approach?