peteroznewman
Subscriber

Hi Max, I have seen the “could not move data from solver- directory to the scratch directory” warning before. I’m not sure why I got this warning, but it solved anyway on the laptop. Since the solver directory and scratch directory was on the same computer, it didn’t take longer to solve.  If you are on a University network, maybe the solver directory is on the local workstation, while the scratch directory is on the remote computer, the time for solving may increase due to slow network speeds compared with the fast access to the local SSD. This is just a guess.

The safe way to move projects between computers is to use File, Archive in Workbench which creates the .wbpz file. This one file can be moved between different computers and is better than moving the .wbpj file and same named _files folder.

A small change in the way a part was meshed can make a contact that was Closed on the first mesh to be Near Open with a tiny gap on the next mesh. When the solver closes this gap, in the first substep, the message “The status of contacts has suddenly changed” is issued. This is not a problem if the solution keeps going.

There are lots of reasons why a model will fail to converge. It helps to see an image of the Force Convergence plot.

While Workbench can’t directly import into the Geometry cell anything except a STEP or IGES file, if you open SpaceClaim, you can then open a long list of CAD formats including Autodesk Inventor files, but this will be the solid geometry and not the underlying sketches and parameters.

The direct CAD interface to Inventor is not supposed to be included in the free Student license, but maybe there was a mistake building that version and it was accidentally included.