SaiD
Ansys Employee

Hello,

Based on the energy summary plot, it looks like the Hourglass energy is quite high. Hourglass energy is a numerical energy and hence should be less as compared to other physical energies (e.g. the Internal energy and Kinetic energy), say less than 5% of the physical energies. So the results you are obtaining are not entirely accurate.

I think the cause of hourglassing here is that when the spoke body hits the pin, an edge of the spoke comes in contact with the pin (I am basing this on the image, correct me if I am wrong). Hence a line force is applied on the pin. Applying a line force or a point force may lead to hourglass behavior in explicit analyses. A few suggestions to fix this:

1. If it is possible to modify the geometry of the spokes to have rounded edges rather than sharp edges, the contact force applied will be distributed over a small area rather than being applied as a line force. However, if this is the actual geometry in real life, this may not be a feasible solution.
  2. Try using Hourglass stabilization.
  3. If 1 and 2 don't work, switch to fully-integrated elements (by default, Explicit analyses use elements with reduced integration formulation for computational efficiency).

Hope this helps!