Allen P Varghese
Subscriber

Hi Rob, I completely agree with this statement, "if the sloshing frequency is into/out of phase with vertical displacement, it could lead to an increase or damping of free surface movement". 

Vessel dimensions are a simple sphere with 0.1425m in radius.

Water fill level is 50%, which I patched as a region within fluent after initialization.

Motion profile is defined using an expression and was verified to produce the correct sinusoidal curve within fluent using the in build expression checker.

Viscosity is  0.001003 kg/ms

Density is 998.2 kg/m^3

These values are the default ones for water in Fluent material database. The paper does not mention the values for viscosity or density, apart from mentioning that the material is water.

Regarding the mesh, the point I am extracting the data from is very close to the wall and for that reason I am am using inflation with smooth transition and 30 boundary layers.

For time-resolution, I am using adaptive time-stepping with an initial time-step 1e-05 s

I have assigned no-slip condition at the walls and since the monitor point is very close to the wall, it could maybe be a reason why the damping is happening. Since the sphere is a glass container which is a smooth boundary, I will try applying a free-slip condition at the wall to see if it helps.

Any other suggestions? I was hoping validating a simple spherical container like this would be very simple :(