Ismail Ata Asan
Subscriber

Hi Paul,

i couldn’t follow the directions you provided. I am relatively new to Ansys Maxwell so I can’t say, I understand what you mean with Function>Scalar.

I’ve tried with two permanent magnets to cause a homogenous Field to then let Ansys solve for torque and then calculated the dipole moment myself. The problem with this approach is that it is in my experience unreliable. You have to pay good attention to how the parameters are set, like the relation between the magnets sizes and the probes size (so that the field is homogenous relative to the size of the probe) and the relation between the magnetic fields (which dominates, plus setting any field to strong or placing a conductive probe near the big magnets could lead to other forces to dominate thus hindering the chances of getting a reliable result) etc. are very important. Ansys gave me implausible results for some set-ups and I have no idea which parameters I choose poorly. But in certain cases I have indeed found values similar to the theoretic maximal capabilities of some magnets and the values matched. But I am on the look-out for more reliable methods. I would love it if you could help, since I am also using the measurements for my thesis and would appreaciate the option of also simulating them (at least knowing that it is possible).

PS:

I don’t think using Helmholtz Coils would deliver a different result since what I am doing is kind of similar anyway. It might work better but still not as reliable as I would like… Unless of course I build a Helmholtz Coil in Ansys Maxwell with the apropriate circuit and use to determine the induced voltage, which is exactly what I can do in real life anyway. Basically a virutal Helmholtz test-bench. It doesn't sound very efficient