peteroznewman
Subscriber

After a stent is made, a balloon is inserted into the center. The stent begins at a diameter smaller than the constricted artery that needs to be treated. Once placed at the site of the constriction, the balloon is inflated which pushes on the stent and the artery to expand the diameter of the stent and artery. The balloon is deflated and removed, but the expanded stent remains to hold the artery open at a new larger diameter because the stent was plastically deformed.

I have seen models that apply pressure on the inside of a stent to expand it. The pressure is simulating the pressure in the balloon.

I have seen models that include an artery for the stent to press against. The elastic property of the artery pushes back against the stent as the artery is stretched open.

The tube I described in my last reply could represent the balloon if it was inside the stent, pushing out. You could apply pressure instead of displacement and that would be a good simulation of the balloon expansion phase of stent deployment.

I’m confused why you want to apply pressure on the outside of the stent pushing in. That doesn’t match any part of the process that I am aware of.

I suppose you could apply an inward pressure to the tube on the outside of the stent, but the issue would be the wrinkling and folding of the tube as it shrinks. That doesn’t happen when you inflate a balloon and the material stretches as it expands.