Ansys Free Student Software

Ansys Free Student Software

19.2 Where to start

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

Screenshot of errorsHello. This is my second attempt at using Ansys. The download and installation seems to go well, but something has gone wrong. This screenshot represents the error messages from a single rectangular sketch in space claim. Previously only received the error . "The geometry editor was closed abnormally." But after advice from a call out I.T. I reset my computer. My computer only has Ansys installed at the moment, I'm using windows 10.

Regards Andrew

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

Can you open up a blank SpaceClaim from Workbench ?

I take it that you can use a stand-alone SpaceClaim, right ?

Thanks,

Win

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

yes I can open space claim from workbench. I haven't tried stand alone space claim. trying to use fusion 360 or solidworks. if I sketch something in space claim then go to model, the geometry always drops out.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

No need to try that and I'm pretty sure it would work for you.

So, I think the issue would be something related to the geometry file or its location.

Can you try moving that file to, say C:Temp and try to import from there ?

If that does not help, try renaming (if exist)

C:UsersAppDataLocalSpaceClaim

C:UsersAppDataRoamingSpaceClaim

to anything else.

Thanks,

Win

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

I tried your first solution the temp file. No luck. I don't understand what you want me to rename in the second. 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

It's the folder called 'SpaceClaim' in these two locations

C:UsersAppDataLocal

C:UsersAppDataRoaming

Try renaming these folders to anything else.

Thanks,

Win

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

I don,t have those addresses. Here's a screen shot of C:userandreAddress from C:userandre

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

The 'appdata' should be hidden. You can click on the 'View' to show hidden folders/files

Thanks,

Win

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

Thanks. got the address. Mine is roaming. Now change what to anything else, the space claim folder? can you give me an example.

Thanks 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

You don't have a 'SpaceClaim' folder in the AppDataLocal ?

Just rename these 'SpaceClaim' folders to any other names, or you can even delete them. These folders just contain configurations , not the SpaceClaim application itself, so don't need to reinstall it.

Thanks,

Win

• Andrew072
      Subscriber

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Too close too Christmas. I've deleted the space claim files in roaming and local. Still can't import file. and if I redraw in space claim I don't

latest screenshot of errors.get the green arrow to move on to model.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Andrew,

Browse to your ANSYS installation directly (e.g., C:Program FilesANSYS Incv192)

then browse to  commonfiles -> CAD -> bin  -> winx64  -> and open this file Ans.CadInt.CADConfigUtilityGUI.exe  with 'run as administrator'

Once the GUI pop-up, select SpaceClaim Direct Modeler -> Next -> Configure Selected CAD Interface

Does this help ?

If not, can you try moving your .scdoc to C:Temp, then import the file from there ?

Thanks,

Win

• dhua
      Subscriber

Hi,

I don't know if you will read this, but I am struggling with ANSYS and I really would appreciate your help. Your instructions are very clear, thank you for them.

I am a high school student in a club called F1 in Schools. We make model F1 race cars here and compete them to see which school sucessfully made the best racecar. My role in this club is a CFD engineer, a job I had no idea how to do, using ANSYS, a software I have just been introduced to. 

I am sort of familiar with the ANSYS software, but have been using DirectModeler because it is the only way I could figure out how to import external CAD geometry that my other club members made. However lately, someone online told me that I can upload geometry with spaceclaim some way, using the method you just described. (Since spaceclaim is much easier to navigate)

I followed your steps and got to the Configure Selected CAD Interface screen, but when I click Configure Selected CAD Interface, I get the message, "Prerequisites ..... Not Configured

SCDM  Workbench PlugIn ..... Configure Failed          CAD Configuration log file was written to location:  C:UsersRoosevelt RacersAppDataLocalTempANSYSv192CADConfigLogsLatestCADConfigurationMgr.log.

When I follow the that file, I find the second image in the picture below. I am pretty stuck now.

Along with these questions, do you know how I can obtain a buisness license or something for ANSYS? I tried to upload one of my club member's models for the car but it said that the geometry file exceeded the ANSYS academic's license or something. How could I fix this or get a better license?

I have many questions about ANSYS, and I'm pretty lost a lot due to the amount of problems i constantly face. I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could respond and help. You seem very knowledgeable and like a wonderful explainer.

Thank you so much,

Daren

Large image: error message when trying to configure. Bottom small message: When I followed the file at the end of the first message

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You're best creating a new thread for problems as they're more easily seen. 

The Academic CAD licence is limited to about 300 faces, and the solvers to a cell count as it's for learning rather than running "full" models, otherwise it's identical to the commercial version.  For the readers make sure you're doing all the configuration steps as Admin. 

Finally, as you're involved in a student team you may want to read this    https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/cat/student-competition-teams/  section carefully. 

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Daren,

I agree with Rob.

- Create a new thread exclusively for yourself to get full attention.

- You exceeded at least one of the student license limitations (e.g., nodes, faces, cells, bodies).

- The fact that it saves the log under your userprofile means you did not run the CAD Configuration GUI with 'run as admin' . Please run that as admin as Rob suggested, then at the bottom left on the first page, make sure you select Current User, then follow the steps as described. Once finishes, go back to the first page and select All Users, then redo the steps again.

- After you read the link that Rob mentioned and if you still want to know the quote for academic licenses, you can try to reach out to local ANSYS (or ANSYS channel partners) offices. See this link for information https://www.ansys.com/about-ansys/contacts-and-locations.

Thanks,

Win

• dhua
      Subscriber

Thanks, I'll make a new thread later. Just to finish up my question though, how do I upload more faces? Do I have to simplify it to have less faces? I don't know if I could get that business license because I am in a high school competition, not an university one.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Yes, with the student version, you will have to simplify things to not exceed the limit. 

For the competition, you can try asking in that section whether yours is eligible for it.

Thanks,

Win

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.