General Mechanical

General Mechanical

1D Analysis – ANSYS Workbench (UVL)

• PrabhuManickam
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am doing a 1D analysis of beam with uniformly varying load. The problem I am facing here was I cant able to give UVL load. 

Uniformly Distributed Load is given by Pressure. But Uniformly Varying load how we give in Ansys workbench. Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Please little urgent. 

Thank you in Advance,

Prabhu M.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Do you mean a triangular shape?  If the beam is along the X axis and the beam is of length L, and the load starts at P at x=0 and is 0 at x=L, is that what you want?  If so, you can have a table or formula for load as a function of X. Just change the Independent variable from Time to X and you can define a spatially varying load.

See this post.

If this answers your question, please mark the Is Solution link below, or ask a followup question.

• PrabhuManickam
      Subscriber

Hi, peteroznewman,

Actually the result is not coming,

1) My question is

I want to apply a load in a downward direction which is perpendicular to the axis of the beam or bar.

2) If I apply the UVL in the direction of X, we get the result in deformation

Load Applied

Deformation Result

Shear Force & Bending Moment Diagram

The value shows zero. Because load applied in Axial Direction.

So, If we change the load in Y or Z Direction. The result is not coming. Even deformation also shows zero

So Finally other than X Direction we cant able to apply load in other directions. Can you please check and give me the result.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

The tangential direction to a straight line is axial. You are applying an axial load, stretching the beam along the X direction.

As you noted in this post, you can't assign the Independent Variable to a coordinate direction for a Line Pressure when it is set to Components.

You will have to use Nodal Force to get a triangular shape of load. That is tedious because you have to make a Named Selection for each node and create a Nodal Force for each node.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If you are clever, you can learn to code in APDL and write a script to assign the correct load to each node using the node's coordinate value. I haven't yet learned to do that.

• PrabhuManickam
      Subscriber

Oh, Then it's tough to do UVL (Triangular Load) in Ansys workbench.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

On a beam element, it would seem so.  I have seen it work on solid elements.

Here is an example of the APDL code if you want to try that, but I can't help you.

• PrabhuManickam
      Subscriber

Sure,

I will try this one. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.