July 20, 2020 at 2:07 pmTobiSubscriber
I have troubles with the Contact Tool in Ansys Mechanical: Transient Structural.
The goal is to recreate the Hertz contact between a sphere and a surface. The upper body represents the sphere. Both bodies are 2D and are meshed with axisymmetric PLANE182 elements. Both bodies were generated with an APDL script, exported to a CDB file and imported in the Ansys Workbench Project. The initial velocity of the sphere is oriented downwards with -0.1 m/s.
The problem is, that no contact is detected. The contact tool states that the status is far open, although there is no gap between the sphere and the surface.
I have already successfully modeled other contact problems in 2D and 3D with the same procedure but without the axisymmetric property. I therefore assume that the problem has something to do with this axisymmetric feature.
Thank you very much for your help!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.