General Mechanical

General Mechanical

2D Static Analysis in Workbench with APDL Meshing (18.2)

• petergrohs
      Subscriber

Is it possible to connect Finite Element Modeler to Static Structural (Model) and retain 2D analysis?

I'm attempting 2D fatigue analysis of a simple axisymmetric part in Workbench 18.2, but I'd like to use Mechanical APDL for meshing. I have no issues connecting the 2D DesignModeler geometry to APDL for meshing, and then connecting APDL to Finite Element Modeler, but when I connect FE Modeler to the Model cell in Static Structural the analysis reverts to 3D and cannot be changed.

I know it must be possible to connect an APDL mesh in Workbench but I can't get past this step. The modules are configured as follows.

• DesignModeler Geometry: 2D analysis type, simple rectangular surface in XY plane ("Add Frozen"), bounded by positive X & Y axes, thickness = 0

• Mechanical APDL: PLANE182 elements, Element behavior = Axisymmetric, basic Smart Size mesh, Archive Model > Write > Data to Archive = DB

• Finite Element Modeler: default settings, reads and correctly displays APDL mesh, import errors attached

• Static Structural: FE modeler connected to Model cell (Geometry cell disappears)

This results in 3D analysis in Mechanical. The bounding box in Mechanical reports "Length Z = 0" and thickness is 0. The mesh does imports correctly. However the analysis type cannot be changed from 3D which prevents the axisymmetric analysis I'm looking for. How can I force Mechanical to remain 2D while importing an APDL mesh?

For testing purposes I connected the FE Modeler module to the Geometry cell in a separate Static Structural module. This automatically generated a Parasolid model in FE Modeler and allowed me to select 2D analysis for Mechanical. However the mesh was not imported, which eliminates this as an option. 

Any ideas? I need to force 2D analysis in Mechanical when connecting an APDL mesh via FE Modeler. Although other solutions are welcome. I have only a rudimentary understanding of APDL at this point. 

• petergrohs
      Subscriber

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.