General Mechanical

General Mechanical

2D topology optimization

• Omarwahba
      Subscriber
      Hi everyone Iam new to ansys I was wondering is it possible to perform 2D topology optimization and how to ?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If you type ansys topology optimization 2D into Google, you will find this.

• Omarwahba
      Subscriber
      I already saw that and I draw a surface
      Applied loads and boundary condition but when solving I get an error message that volume is equal to zero
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber

If you want help with that problem, then reply with details on the model. Show screen snapshots of the surface, the loads, the boundary conditions, and all the topology optimization settings. 

• Omarwahba
      Subscriber

showed the error i get related to volume so if was going to proceed with results to topolgy optimization i can't

• jj77
      Subscriber

You are most likely using plane stress without defining a thickness for the part.

This is clearly seen in the question mark next to your geometry on the Outline tree structure. Go into the SYSsurface and assign a thickness for your part.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

In addition to what jj77 said, In Workbench, on the Geometry cell, you have to set the Analysis Type to 2D before you start Mechanical to define loads and supports.  See this post.

• Omarwahba
      Subscriber
      Thanks it worked
    • Maulik
      Subscriber

Hello, i am performing topological optmization for 2d truss structure and am able to perform static structural analysis perfectly. But, for topological optimization, i am not able to use line body for optimization even though i have given a circular cross section area for the body. can you suggest any possible reason for the same

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Answered here.

Please don't post the same question in three different discussions.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.