Fluids

Fluids

3 Phases with one dispersed

• monsboerns
      Subscriber

Hello Fluenters!

I am currentrly using Ansys Fluent 2020 for my CFD calculations. Now I faced a problem regarding muliphase flows that I can't solve.

My question now is: Is there a way to model 3 phases, where phase 1 (plastic) is dispersed as droplets in a continuous phase 2 (also plastic) and these two phases together are surrounded by another continuous phase 3 (air)?

Thank you all in advance for answering my question!

Best regards.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Yes you can do that. Eulerian Multiphase in Fluent does only have one primary "continuous phase". That is how it is built. To have another "continuous" phase you need to provide a dummy diameter (stick to default) and just balance the whole thing via Drag and Interfacial Area.

How big is the volume fraction of the plastic particles (thinking about using DPM for that as alternative).

• monsboerns
      Subscriber
      Hello DrAmine first of all, thank you very much for your fast answer, that helped me a lot!!
      If I understand you correctly I just use "Mixture" as multiphase model, use 3 phases and choose my diameter in a way that the drag force between air and the other continuous plastic phase is very huge, that it cannot penetrate the other phase?
      The volume fraction of the dispersed phase is actually very big (50/50), so the Eulerian/Eulerian model suits me best, as I am not interested in the flow behaviour of the particles themselves.
      Thank you in advance for answering my question
      Best regards.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.