Preprocessing

Preprocessing

3D mixing – having two zones ‘talk’ to each other through an interface

• Patrickodon
      Subscriber

Hi all,

I'm doing 3D mixing in a stirring tank, with a main zone of water (A) and a small cubic section of calcium (B) being mixed (picture is a cross-section of the model).

In DesignModeler, I drew the water cylinder, then drew the calcium cuboid inside that cylinder and used the Boolean command to Subtract the calcium from the water (while retaining the calcium section).

I've had issues with getting 3D mixing running in the past. I've defined Named Selections for where the calcium and water sections meet. How do I turn those into an Interface, and allow the calium and water to pass through/mix in that Interface?

Edit: some Interfaces have autocreated (hydrogel is just water):

so I'm just wondering how to tell these interfaces to have my fluids "talk to"/mix with each other?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If you form a multibody part the zone connection becomes an interior. Otherwise the interface pair should be automatically created in Fluent to pass data over the boundary. Unless you NEED sliding mesh I'd aim for a conformal mesh as it's more efficient. 

https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/non-homogenous-velocity-contour-inside-bioreactor/ may answer a few questions too. 

• Patrickodon
        Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. I'll try Conformal Mesh soon if I can't get this one running smoothly.

The Interfaces are all in the Solver, but they are set up as Walls:

What Type should I change them to, such that they allow fluid interaction/mixing between the boundaries?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Check the cell zone types. You should have a mesh interface pair under "mesh interfaces". The walls tend to be for when the two sides of a pai don't quite match. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.