Photonics

Photonics

4-level 2-Electron Model implementation in VarFDTD

Tagged: ,

• Joe Mahoney
      Subscriber

Hi there,

I want to implement the 4-level 2-electron model in VarFDTD to achieve saturable gain materials.

I have looked at your microdisk example using the 4-level 2-electron model. As the structure I will simulate will be quite large, I want to use VarFDTD. I have recreated the microdisk example in VarFDTD but I cannot recreate the results. From what I can tell the simulation setup between the example script and my VarFDTD script are identical (except where certain features are not availabe in VarFDTD).

Do you know if the 4-level 2-electron model can be implemented in VarFDTD? If it can would it be possible to have some help in understanding how to correctly implement the 4-level 2-electron model in VarFDTD?

Kindest regards,

Joe
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

As far as I know, varFDTD is only for linear simulation, since the effective index it calculates does not count for nonlinear effect.

I suggest that you simplify the simulation in 2D FDTD from the effective index calculated in varFDTD and do the 2D FDTD simulation approximately.

• Joe Mahoney
      Subscriber

Thank you for this. I expected this may be the case, and have already started working in 2D FDTD. Thank you again for your help.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.