Photonics

Photonics

About grating coupler 2D simulation

Tagged: 

• zuoyandaoying
      Subscriber
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Since this is FDTD simulation, you can use a frequency-domain monitor above and below, then do a farfield projection: Understanding field polarization in far field projections
      Please note that 2D FDTD means the 3rd dimension is infinite. But from your screenshot the 3rd dimension is very limited. so the actually true result of the device may be different from your 2d result.
    • zuoyandaoying
      Subscriber
      Thanks for your solution. Could I ask again´╝ƒIt is 2D simulation because this structure is very small. And I am not sure about your "Please note that 2D FDTD means the 3rd dimension is infinite. But from your screenshot, the 3rd dimension is very limited "
      If you can explain for me, I am very thankful for you.
    • Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Please refer this article: Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) solver introduction
      2D simulation has suppressed some field components whereas in your waveguide, the 3rd dimension, eg, zspan of the waveguide is about micron scale, which means it will confine the EM fields, and thus will have the full 6 EM fields. You can also check the mode profile: in 2D simulation the field intensity is a line, it means it duplicates infinitely in the 3rd dimension. In 3D, the E intensity of the mode will gradually decrease.
      2D simulation means at any location of z, the device is the same. Obviously your device is not the case. right?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.