Electronics

Electronics

Acis Error – Boolean subtract function – HFSS

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have this deformed spiral geometry which I imported into HFSS as .sat file. I created a substrate along with a via and lumped port to perform EM analysis. Before, that I tried to subtract the substrate from the spiral as it overlaps as shown in picture 2. Without subtracting, when I validate the design, it gives me errors as well. 

I would really appreciate your help with this.

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Errors:

• Praneeth
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sneh,

Thank you for reaching out to us and we appreciate your patience.

Did you uncheck "Set Material Override Tab" option in the desing settings? If not then there is no need to subtract the deformed spiral from the substrate.

If you still want to subtract these two, then please send the screenshot of your model indicating the labels of every objects to help us serve you better.

All the very best,
      Praneeth.

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Praneeth,

Before under the "Set Material Override Tab" option in design settings, the option "Enable material override" was unchecked. So I checked that options and reran the simulation. It gave me a "Surface Mest Generation Failed Error". I have attached a few pictures to help you understand the model.

Thank you Praneeth for your help. I would appreciate it if you could help me with this as I have been on this for a while now.

• Praneeth
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sneh,

I have noticed that you are using 0.0005mm thickness for the spiral conductor. If possible, I would recommend you define it as a sheet. This will simplify the geometry and the computation would be much faster. Also, this approach would not decrease the accuracy of the results.

If the above approach is not possible, then try to assign mesh operation. More information about this can be found here - Ansys Electronics 2022 R2. Alternatively, you can go through "defining mesh operations" chapter in the HFSS help pdf document.

Best regards,
      Praneeth.

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Praneeth,

How can I change the solid to sheet in HFSS? or do I need to make the spiral all over again? I actually created the spiral in SpaceClaim and deformed it in structural analysis and imported it into HFSS as a sat file. So do I need to make the spiral as "sheet" in spaceclaim?

Thanks,

• Praneeth
      Ansys Employee

Hi Sneh,

Yes, you can do that. You can also use the inbuilt 3D modeler of the Ansys Electronics Desktop (AEDT) to create the geometry. One advantage of doing so is you can edit them in AEDT itself, unlike the imported objects.

Best regards,
      Praneeth.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Acis Error – Boolean subtract function – HFSS’ is closed to new replies.