Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Air flow over a zero volume surface.

• andrewe
      Subscriber

Hi,

Aim: I am attempting to model the airflow over a thin film wing in order to view the pressure distribution on the wing surfaces and to analyse its structural performance in terms of stress and deformation. 

Background:

I previously completed static structural of wing, I was unable to mesh as a 3D body due to the width of the wing membrane material being very thin. The solution was therefore to model the design as a two 2D surfaces for the "wing spars" and "membrane" and then assigning the mesh a thickness property - this worked well

However due to the geometry having 0 volume due to being a surface - I am struggling to set up an appropriate mesh.

The wing (shown in 3D):

As suggested in https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/creating-a-mesh-for-a-thin-film/ I have been trying to model air flow over the wing as a 0 thickness surface by splitting the volume about the edges and face of the wing. 

I have attached my current file.

I am struggling to get a mesh working to proceed with analysis on fluent. 

Any help or alternative suggestions to achieve the aim would be greatly appreciated.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

As ANSYS Staff, we can not download attachments. Please insert images using insert image functionality. 

Can you please insert some images of the geometry modifications you did. 

Also check 

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• andrewe
      Subscriber

I am essentially trying to create a 2D obstacle (wing - made of two surfaces spar and membrane) within a 3D channel. As the wing is too thin to generate a mesh across its thickness - in static structural analysis i modelled as a surface mesh and added thickness property.

In order to see its performance in airflow and analyse the structural performance of the wing when subject to the pressure from the airflow, I am trying to set up a model for fluent. I can't get a mesh setup working ready for fluent.

I found a similar topic here: https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/creating-a-zero-thickness-wall-in-a-3d-channel-spaceclaim-ansys-meshing-fluent/

But I can't get this to work.

Could u possibly explain how to achieve this analysis in as much detail as possible please? 

• andrewe
      Subscriber

Here is a close up of the geometry.

I am simply trying to apply air flow over the wing in order to analyse the pressure distribution on the wing and its deformation and stress in a coupled model.

Everything I find online involves 3D parts, but i cant use a 3D part due to the wings very low thickness.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Did you check 

https://studentcommunity.ansys.com/thread/creating-a-zero-thickness-wall-in-a-3d-channel-spaceclaim-ansys-meshing-fluent/

Did you use share topology?

What errors you are gettng in meshing?

Regards,

Keyur

If this helps, please mark this post as 'Is Solution' to help others.

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to access ANSYS help links

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Andrew, I gave you a working mesh for the zero thickness wing in this post.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.