Ansys Products

Ansys Products

AMD vs Intel processors for non-HPC computing – MKL issues still relevant?

• A_Fleyfel
      Subscriber
      Hi,nWe are looking to upgrade our older Xeon based ANSYS workhorse computer.nWe do not have a HPC license so it seems maximum single core speed is the critical factor. That seems to mean either Intel Core I5/I7 or Ryzen 7/9. Xeon doesn't seem to be nearly as fast, per core.nIntel Core processors don't support ECC RAM, so that means Ryzen 7/9.nHowever, forum posts over the years have indicated Ryzen underperforms massively due to poor/non-existant MKL support. My countries commercial reseller for ANSYS indicate they have noticed no issues of that sort and that their AMD/Intel computers perform identically, thus the MKL issue is probably solved. However I can see forum posts online from just the last few months indicating it is still an issue.nBefore I invest $10k odd in a new computer setup with AMD - can anyone confirm if the MKL issue is ongoing and I would be better served with some other configuration of processor?nThanks.n
    • Randy Kosarik
      Ansys Employee
      Hi A_Fleyfel,nAMD's x86 compatibility means our products should work on AMD however, we have not formally tested or benchmarked all products.nAs such, we have seen MKL slowdowns regarding AVX2 optimization in AMD - does not appear to affect all projects/physics.nDevelopment is working with AMD to make sure the latest versions of math libraries are compatible with the Electronics products.nThanksnRandynn
    • A_Fleyfel
      Subscriber
      So, accepting that it will work, does there still exist the significant slowdown reported by previous users? For the record we use almost exclusively static structural, a lot of non-linear solves though (materials, contacts, deflections).n
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.