General Mechanical

General Mechanical

An internal solution magnitude error

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi,

So I have a spiral design. Previously, I was getting a solver error which with the help of an Ansys employee, I was able to solve by changing the mesh sizing. Now, I have a different spiral design and I am getting this error(Picture 1). I would really appreciate your help with this error.

Picture 1: Shows the geometry with the error

Picture 2: Shows the geometry mesh and mesh size (element size =0.01)

Thank you,

\

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

As it says, this means that this very small structure is deforming too much under that load.

The warning/error tells that it could be due to supports, a too large force (e.g., try and solve with ~ 1 microNewton instead) and or material properties.

All the best

Erik

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Erik,

I tried using a smaller force like 1micronewton and it worked. I was wondering can I use shell elements instead of a solid body since the thickness of my structure is 1 micrometer. and would it be possible to save the deformed shell element and perform further analysis in HFSS?

Thanks,
      Sneh

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Shells are for thin structures - not sure how you can use that in hfss though (if they come out as shells).

One can also use solsh190 (solid-shells) which you can get as shown here.

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

I got the deformed geometry from static structural by exporting 1) as STP file format and 2) as pmdb format.

1)STP format: I imported STP format file in new geometry module and bridged it to HFSS in the workbench. However, the geometry gets distorted in both Design modular and HFSS. I have attached pictures below.

2)PMDB format: I imported PMDB format file in new geometry and bridged it to HFSS in the workbench. However, I get an error when opening the HFSS design geometry.

Erik, I would really appreciate it if you can help me get this deformed geometry in HFSS as I have tried multiple approaches. Can I send you my files?

Picture 1: Imported deformed geometry(0.1mm nodal displacement) in new Design Modular -PMDB format

Picture 2: Imported deformed geometry(0.1mm nodal displacement) in new Design Modular -STEP format

Similar distorted geometry in HFSS with STEP format.

Picture 3: Error when opening HFSS geometry with PMDB file format.

Thank you,

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

What is the point of the static structural analysis (is it to get deformed geometry)?

If it too much deformed set the results scale to something smaller.

Then export to pmdb as that looks the best, and export it out from design modeler as a .sat file.

Try to import that to hfss (you can do that inside hfss via Modeler->Import->.

All the best

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Erik,

Yes, the point of static structural analysis is to get deformed geometry and use it in HFSS.

Okay, I will try to make the result scale smaller than what it is now. I will try this out and update you.

Thank you, Erik,

Sneh

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Erik, 

I changed the deformation scale factor from 1.6(Auto Scale) to 1(True Scale). Then I exported the geometry as .pmdb file. I opened that file in design modeler and I tried to export it as .sat file, but I don't see that option. 

Thanks,

Sneh

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

You can do that from Spaceclaim instead (.sat export).

Then open HFSS, and go to the main menus, and Modeler - > Import and choose the sat file.

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Still I dont see an option for .sat export. I went to Spaceclaim options -ACIS (picture below).

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

You need to convert from stl to solid body - see this forum and the interent on how to do that. ALl the best

Erik

• Sneh Patel
      Subscriber

Hi Erik,

I tried looking at information on the internet to convert the stl to a solid body, however, had no luck. Can you give me to convert the STL to a solid body?

Thank you,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.