General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Analysis about rigid body (target side)

Tagged: ,

• byenogwu son
      Subscriber
      I made a ansys model like V-belt.

I want to know fatigue life or stress applied to pully object ( rigid object ).

But In ansys, Flexible bodies must be on the contact side(in this case, A belt) and ansys shows only result of contact side. (without total deformation)

How to know fatigue life or stress of pully While the belt is spinning?

please help me....😂

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I don't see a pulley or a V-belt in the image you show above, but I will ignore that and answer the question you wrote.

Fatigue is based on cycles. One cycle of stress occurs on each revolution of the pulley. The cyclic stress comes from the tension in the V-belt applying a lateral force to the pulley. A simple way to get the fatigue life of the pulley (and shaft!) is to model the pulley and shaft as flexible bodies. Apply the lateral force to the pulley and ignore the fact that it is spinning. You have SN curves defined for the material of the pulley in Engineering Data, which is required.  In the Fatigue tool, it should be configured for Fully Reversed Load Ratio to account for the fact that the lateral force pulls then pushes as the pully rotates relative to a fixed point on the pulley. The Life plot is then read as number of revolutions to failure.

• byenogwu son
        Subscriber

First thank you for answering😄

Then I wonder that can i know stress or fatigue life of that wide-flat pully in that image?

(the red one is pulling side, the green one is pushing side and it is rope)

i'm forward to your reply and thank you for your answering again😍😍

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please insert some more images into your reply explaining each part, the boundary conditions and the applied loads. I still don’t see the wide-flat pulley in that image. You can also label the parts.

Here is what I understand a V-belt pulley looks like:

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.