Fluids

Fluids

Animation steady simulation with unsteady DPM?

• mardott
      Subscriber
      I would like to save a video or at least visualize some of the steps that the particles I inject do.nI need to see how the follow/unfollow the flow streamlines and where they hit.nI am running a steady simulation but my particle tracking is unsteady, so I guess I should be able to store some frames of the particles motion. As I can do when running an unsteady simulation. nHowever, I do not manage to do so.nAny suggestion?nps. I am using FLUENTn
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You might hard copy images of particle tracks and use them to create animation. Other easy option is to export the particle tracks under File during the run and post-process it in EnSight or CFD-Post.n
    • mardott
      Subscriber
      Thank you for your quick answer.nI am still confused.nHow do I create several hard copy images and of different steps? In the Particle Tracks of the Results section of FLUENT I see only one freezed image of the particles (not even sure of which point in time of the simulation).nnAnd if you suggest using CFD-Post I assume the post-processing tools of FLUENT do not allow to visualize the particle tracking? All this changing of programs is quite annoying. Also, I know how to export the particle tracks at the end of the simulation (under file as you said), but how do I export it *during* the simulation? In create under Activities of the Solution, I cannot select the option:nAnd with solution animation I obtain files with an extension that seems it cannot be read by FLUENT or CFD-Postn
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      You define the automatic Export under File->Export->During Calculation. nFluent standard Post-Processing allows post processing particle tracks which you are doing all the time but you wanted to know how to create animations and I wanted to help you doing that.nThe export of hard copy can be done for a certain frequency via journal file for example where you hard copy particle tracks display (better if you add it to scene and hard copy that scene). The combination of steady state flow and unsteady particle tracking for hard copying objects is bit non intuitive here: you will need to hard copy images per iteration frequency or directly use the Solution Animation tool in Fluent and select the number of iterations to create the pictures.n
    • ai0013
      Subscriber
      You can export hard copies as Dr. Amine indicated, a strategy is to dsiplay the mesh, contours, etc.. and particle tracks added to scene with colormap as desired. Be sure to setup the view with the exact perspective that you want (zoom, angle, lightning, etc..) and save the view. This way you ensure you later wont lose this view. nYou can create autoexecution commands that will repeat the image export as desired (each # time-step or iteration). I'd do something like this, to display:1) the scene 2) the view 3) export the picture. You can later post-process this easily with Matlab or ffmpeg, etc... to create your animations. Hope this helpsnn(be sure to append the time in your file name, e.g. my_image_%t.jpg, so you'll have your files sorted and ready to be read in the post-processing )n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      nice solution, the only correction is to use %i as the steady solver doesn't have a time step value for %t: you need to save against the iteration number. Your solution is excellent for a transient calculation. n
    • ai0013
      Subscriber
      thank you for this pointing this out, you are absolutely right!n
    • mardott
      Subscriber
      Array, unfortunately when I do Export under File->Export->During Calculation I cannot save anything in my folder, but just something to export by Export->Particle History Data.And when I export through that, I just have a frozen field. Also, do you know how I can see at which timestep I am looking at?.Thank you Array ! I did try something very similar some time ago but I did not obtain much. Probably as Array said, I was using %t instead %i and in a steady simulation it cannot work. I'll try that and process it with matlab n
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.