Ansys Products

Ansys Products

ANSYS 19.2 Integration with IBM Spectrum LSF 10.1/2 (Campus Solutions bundle)

• CMCsupport1
      Subscriber

Good afternoon, 

We are in the midst of purchasing CAD Compute Cluster hardware for installation at an Ontario university. We have chosen to use the IBM Job Scheduler 'Spectrum LSF' 10.x for this cluster. Our licence bundle is for a 'Campus Solutions' configuration. Users will be accessing these seats through a subscription model and a secure client. 

We have also built a smaller virtual cluster internally for testing CAD tools with this environment. Our operating system here is CentOS 7.4.1708. My colleague has configured this trial environment with one login node (lsf-m2) and five compute nodes (lsf-node1/2/3/4/5). Each node has four cores and each core has been assigned 2 GB of RAM. He also set up five queues, of different kinds (interactive, fairshare...).

We have added missing libraries to this environment, run basic start-up/licensing checks, and we believe the smaller virtual cluster is ready to run simulations. The interface is the in-built 'Spectrum MPI' (IBM). We would  like to know if your 19.2 release been tested with this scheduler version? Some 'Help' documents refer to LSF 6.x and 7.x. 

Judging by the help files provided independently by both companies, it's clear there has been some mutual development work undertaken to integrate the scheduler with ANSYS tools. Do you have recommended examples that could be bench-marked:

- on a local machine;

- using a serial cluster simulation on a single node; and then

- using a multi-core simulation on up to five nodes? 

Examples for the ANSYS EDT, Mechanical APDL and Fluent solvers of interest here. Thank you for your consideration. 

Yours,

CMC Microsystems' support staff

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi CMC Microsystems' support staff,

I recently saw this info somewhere too

" Some 'Help' documents refer to LSF 6.x and 7.x. "

but I can't recall where I saw it. Please let me know what 'Help' document and I will check that out.

The main platform support page does have info for this

https://www.ansys.com/-/media/ansys/corporate/files/pdf/solutions/it-professionals/platform-support/job-schedulers-and-queuing-systems-support-192.pdf?la=en-in

However, I'm sure that for HFSS (and Maxwell) , it definitely works with LSF (and other schedulers) as stated in their help (although it doesn't say the version)

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/Views/Secured/Electronics/v192/Subsystems/HFSS/HFSS.htm#HPC/WindowstoLinuxJobSubmission.htm

For the benchmark stuff, for Mechanical and Fluids, you can start from here (sorry I don't have specific examples for different jobs distribution setup)

https://support.ansys.com/portal/site/AnsysCustomerPortal/menuitem.ad09c1ca704220ba44762e10639c97a0/?vgnextoid=cca7cc605a609310VgnVCM10000036c9790aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

then, for the AEDT, there are examples that come with the installation. You can pick any project under the 'Open Examples' (AnsysEMAnsysEM1xxWin64Examples) for a local / single node solve.

For distributed solve, you can try using these three examples under AnsysEMAnsysEM1xxWin64schedulersdiagnosticsProjectsHFSS

almond_DDM.aedt, MPI_tst2.aedt, or OptimTee-DiscreteSweep-FineMesh.aedt .

Let us know if you need more details on any part.

Thanks,

Win

• CMCsupport1
      Subscriber

Good morning, Doctor Siriaksorn,

Thank you for this prompt response. We will wade through these examples as we debug our trial system. Wish us luck.

We saw mention of the earlier LSF versions (6.x and 7.x) in the Fluent 19.1 help files; specifically, Chapter 1.1.1.

Regards,

CMC Microsystems' support staff

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi CMC Microsystems' support staff,

Thank you for the info. You are right. It does say 6.x  to 7.x in that doc. Sorry for the inconsistency with 

https://www.ansys.com/-/media/ansys/corporate/files/pdf/solutions/it-professionals/platform-support/ansys-191-job-schedulers-queuing-systems-tested.pdf?la=en-in

but LSF10.1 should be ok.

Thanks,

Win

• CMCsupport1
      Subscriber

Good afternoon, Doctor,

Thanks to ANSYS staff for its help. We have no additional questions at this time.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Sounds good. 

Thank you for the confirmation Patricia.

Win

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.