General Mechanical

General Mechanical

ANSYS Additive Manufacturing Simulation inside ANSYS Workbench 19.0

• emmanuel_amoako_00
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am using Ansys workbench 19.0 with additive manufacturing extension for simulation but, in the post processing, melting temperature is used as an input in the software. I will be validating my results by printing the geometry using a 3D printer which uses laser power as the input and not melting temperature. I wanted to know if I have an input of 1250 degree celsius as the melting temperature in the simulation, what will be its equivalent laser power or wattage in the 3D printer machine?

Regards,

Emmanuel.

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Emmanuel,

I request you to post in the Structural Mechanics Category for Additive questions going forward along with the appropriate tags.

Coming, to your question and I think I answered something similar previously. As you know, Workbench additive does not use laser power. We assume that the process parameters have been set correctly so that all the powder on the top layer has been melted, and not underheated nor overheated. We also heat (melt) the entire layer at once.

Now, let's say you can get the volume of the melted material, that will give you the mass of it and based on the latent heat and heat capacity you can find how much energy is needed for it. Now just divide this energy to the time it took to create that much of molten material, you will get the power of the laser. No FEA needed.

Q=Power*time=mCΔT+mLf,

Regards,
      Sandeep

• emmanuel_amoako_00
      Subscriber

Sandeep, thank you very much for the information once again.

Regards,

Emmanuel.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.