3D Design

3D Design

ANSYS APDL: Geometry and mesh from IGES

• tylerleon
      Subscriber

Hi all, 

I have a problem with the import of the geometry from an .igs file containing two little tunnels intersecting each other. I just imported the two volumes without performing any boolean operation. The question is: how can I build a continuous mesh at the intersection? 

I tried the boolean operations, but while meshing the error "XXX non-adjacent boundary triangles touch. Geometry configuration may be not valid…". 

Somebody can help me? 

Thanks, Cristiano

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Hi Cristiano,

Can you try to open this model in SpaceClaim and do these boolean operations there?

You can also export the iges from there to use in APDL.

• tylerleon
      Subscriber

Yes I can try, but I don't know if the problem is the boolean (VOLAP, VGLUE run without problems) or the mesh operations. I need to have a continuous mesh at the intersection and APDL have to recognize that the volumes are separated but the mesh must be continuous… 

Thank you!

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

If you do the boolean operation (it is called Combine in SpaceClaim) in SCDM, You will get a clear idea if it is geometry problem or a mesh problem. 

If SpaceClaim fails to combine them, you may want to take a look at the model and inspect the reason of failure. 

Also, looking at the solids there seems overlap between two solids which must be removed in order to achieve what you want.

If SpaceClaim succeeds in combining the two solids into one,  then you can split them again in SpaceClaim and keep them in a single multibody part with Share Topology method set to share. This way it will be 3 different solids but all interfaces will be common, hence mesh nodes will be shared at these interfaces.

• tylerleon
      Subscriber

I solved my problem, thank you very much!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.