LS Dyna

LS Dyna

Ansys- Explicit dynamics – which method is used to solve? FEM or FVM or FDM?

• harsf
      Subscriber

In Ansys dynamics explicit module, I have modeled a water tank for an earthquake analysis to observe sloshing behavior. I am interested in how Ansys solves the problem using conservation of mass, momentum, and Energy. I have used the eulerian body for water and the lagrangian domain for the water tank. My question Is it using the Finite Element Method (FEM) or Finite Volume Method (FVM) or Finite Difference Method (FDM)? to solve the PDE's. I am doing FSI with water and tank

• harsf
      Subscriber
      @ram_gopisetti As in a previous discussion of mine it was mentioned, explicit dynamics uses FVM. But when I read the manual it mentions that it was done using Godunov scheme which uses FDM. Please can you clarify it? It is kind of urgent
    • harsf
      Subscriber
      @ram_gopisetti Your attention is kindly requested
    • vikaskaul
      Subscriber
      I am not a legacy ANSYS user so take this with a grain of salt. With that disclaimer out of the way, and given the keywords I see in your question, odds are you are using the FEM to discretize spatial fields in an ALE (arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian) frame of reference and a finite difference scheme to discretize time.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Ram Gopisetti didn't get your notifications because the @ symbol is not included in the link.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.