Ansys Products

Ansys Products

ANSYS Fluent Autoshut Down when click Mouse ‘Middle Scroll Button’ and Drag down.

• jlhee
      Subscriber

Hi All, 

ANSYS Fluent appears to be including new feature again every year. In v19.2 (official Academic version) downloaded from the University Software Centre for use in the desktop of a staff. 

My Fluent appears to be shutting down without reason when middle 'mouse button' is clicked and drag downwards. 

Anyone knows how to disable it? 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

If you mean Fluent crashes then it's probably the graphics card. Check for driver updates and whether the card is supported  https://www.ansys.com/solutions/solutions-by-role/it-professionals/platform-support

• jlhee
      Subscriber

Thanks rwoolhou, 

I am very pleased to know there is a forum to voice my concerns in ANSYS, previously I have to log-in to Service Request and it was being channelled to all around the world. 

The desktop supplied has a Intel UHD Graphics 630 & GeForce GT730 (I have checked and it was not possible to update my drivers). 

I have recorded a video clearly where when I open my Fluent whether is in Serial/Parallel with Uni of Manchester network (license), after displaying the mesh, if I click middle mouse button and drag downward, it closed straight without warning. 

However, however, if I click "Workbench Default" on the tab where the button & functions are as they are same as Workbench, the middle mouse button is rotating and didn't crash. But somehow, My CFD simulation auto shutdown. 

I am puzzled what is going on with Version 19.2. 

My GPU doesn't seems to be supported. Does that means I have to disable it somewhere? My previous desktop (in another Uni) doesn't have GPU card and uses version 17.2. I have not experience such issue. 

Thanks.

I can confirm the issue is repeatable with the step mentioned above.

Regards,
      J

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi J,

GeForce GT730 is a gaming card and is not officially supported by ANSYS but you can try.

When you mentioned 'it's not possible to update the drivers' You meant you don't have admin rights, it's already latest , etc. ?

I would recommend to check the latest driver from Nvidia website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us  , don't use Windows to update it.

Also, try right click on the desktop then launch Nvidia Control Panel >> Manage 3D settings >> set Preferred graphics processor to be "High-performance NVIDIA processor.

Thanks,

Win

• jlhee
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

Thanks for your suggestion. 

I have the Admin rights and could no longer update the driver as it was the LATEST version possible. 

I am now installing GeForce Experience v3.19.0107.exe because I couldn't download the Nvidia Control Panel on university PC despite having admin right. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<< ATTENTION >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please, could all the ANSYS Engineer see this?

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Does_anybody_know_how_to_solve_Ansys_scroll_button_error

I am not the only one that has this issue. It has been there since 2016. 

I urgently need a solution to my problem. 

Thanks

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi J,

Unfortunately, this is not officially supported card, so we can't guarantee that the software would work as intended.

How many monitor(s) are you using ? If multiple, please try just 1 monitor for now

Also, please confirm your Nvidia Control Panel setting if it's set like what I described. If you don't have that option, there are other options that can make the most use of your card, see settings here 

Another thing that I forgot to check is, is this a 3D Space Mouse ? Can you try updating your mouse driver ?

Thanks,

Win

• jlhee
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

Thanks for the info. I don't think that works for me as the Nvidia Control Panel can't be installed on Uni PC even with Admin Rights.

< !!! For those who are seeking for a solution to similar problem, please follow my guide !!! >
      I found the solution as follows: 

Can you please launch ANSYS FLUENT and use driver msw instead of the standard OpenGl. Youn can do that by starting ANSYS Fluent from command line with the flag -driver msw (Windows) or -driver x (Linux). Alternatively, you can change the driver in ANSYS Fluent by going in the Fluent console by looking after rendering-options in the menu display/set/rendering-options/driver.

Link:  https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/fluent-19-crashes-without-warning-nor-error-messages/

Thanks.

Good Luck Guys.

J

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.