Fluids

Fluids

Ansys Fluent: How to obtain the current density in MHD module?

• LCC
      Subscriber

I try to simulate the arc in welding so MHD module is used. The source term in the energy equation needs the current density. I wonder if there is a macro that can obtain the current density or other method that can obtain it directly? Thanks a lot.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It's complicated. What are you trying to find out, and which plasma model are you using? 

• LCC
        Subscriber

Hi!I use MHD model to simulate the plasma but I do not know how to obtain the current density. And the source term of the energy equation is shown in the figure.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

What paper/setup are you planning on using MHD for? It's designed more for magnetic fields in metal stirring, plasma isn't going to be easy. 

• LCC
        Subscriber

I use MHD for metal welding and I am trying to simulate the welding arc. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

The MHD module will not calculate the magnetic field induced by the arc current. It is not a complete EM solver. If the arc is DC you will need to consider using Ansys Maxwell. If it's high frequency AC you'll need Ansys HFSS, low frequency will work with Maxwell. This is not a straightforward project and should be approached with caution. 

• LCC
        Subscriber

I get it now. Thank you for the well explained answer. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.