Ansys Products

Ansys Products

ANSYS Installation and License Structure

• Bodydrop
      Subscriber

I am completely inexperienced with ANSYS and am currently building an infrastructure. For this purpose, a server should serve as HPC node. In addition, there is already a license server and several laptops should be able to calculate via the HPC server.

My current understanding is that clients generate simulation files via the laptops (on which ANSYS is installed), which are then transferred to the HPC server via a queue. This probably works by means of the ANSYS RSM. And the HPC server starts with the calculations.

Currently there are several questions:

Q1: Which services must run on the server so that the simulations can be calculated? Do the ANSYS products need to be installed there or would it be sufficient to install the ANSYS RSM there to perform the calculations? In the installation and licensing pdf there are a lot of libraries that are needed, are they all necessary for the HPC server?

Q2: There is also the problem that the server can only be accessed without a user interface. However, in the instructions of the version 212 is often said that it works with a GUI.

Currently I still have many question marks, but I hope that they can be solved through this thread here.

• George Karnos
      Ansys Employee
      To make sure I understand.
      You have 1 HPC Server machine that you will send jobs to. These jobs will be sent from laptops.
      What OS is the HPC Server? Laptops?
      Are you using a scheduler on the HPC Server?
      RSM services will need to be installed on HPC server.
      All prerequisites will need to be installed on all machines as well as the programs being used.
      The following links are to the RSM Guides and tutorials:
      https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/prod_page.html?pn=RSM&prodver=22.1&lang=en
      https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v221/en/wb_rsm/wb_rsm.html
    • Bodydrop
      Subscriber

Sorry for the late reply.
      Currently we want to use one server as a HPC server to which we send the jobs. This server has no graphical user interface. The server runs the OS Rocky Linux. The laptops use Windows as OS.
      Currently there is nothing installed on the servers, so no ANSYS software and no scheduler yet.
      Did I understand correctly that only the RSM service has to be installed on the HPC server?
      Furthermore, I have the problem that my institution already has a license server that we should use. However, there is no contact person within our institution and therefore I do not know the required Account Number(Customer Number). Therefore I currently cannot access the links.
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      if you follow this https://forum.ansys.com/discussion/22563/using-help-with-links can you get to the links?
    • George Karnos
      Ansys Employee
      Also, OS Rocky Linux is not a supported Operating System...
      Please check the following link for supported platforms:
      All software will need to be installed on server...Programs and RSM
    • Bodydrop
      Subscriber
      thank you, I myself do not have ANSYS on my laptop, as I rather administer the systems. But I'll try the whole thing times, whether I come over it to the instructions.

I have also seen this in the PDFs, but I currently have no other choice to test the whole thing, since I am not supposed to make any changes to the OS. Is it possible to run the whole thing in a Docker container if necessary?
      I think I have seen that Docker is not supported or no support is provided for it, right?
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.