Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Ansys license manager technical questions

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

ATTN:  Ansys support engineers

I'm currently waiting on my account to be classified as an Ansys Support Coordinator (ASC). I'm hoping you will respond to these questions even if my Student Community account hasn't been updated yet to identify me as an ASC.  Thanks!!

I'm getting ready to install the ANSYS license manager onto a newer server and transfer its license from the old server to this new one.  I have several questions about it:

We currently have 18.x clients.  I see there is a newer 19.x version.  If I install the 19.x license manager, can the older 18.x clients still check out licenses?  I assume it's backwards compatible, but wanted to be 100% sure.

Along the same lines, is it possible that newer 19.x clients check out licenses from an older 18.x license manager?  I assume not, but wanted to check my options.

If I install the latest 19.2 license manager right now and slightly newer clients get released later on (like 19.3, 19.4, etc), is an upgrade of the license manager to the same exact version required?  I'm hoping you will say that any 19.x license manager can serve out licenses to any 19.x clients.

thanks,

Scott

• dsurendr
      Ansys Employee

Hello Scott,

1. The License Manager version should always be equal to or newer than the client side ANSYS products version. So running 19.x license manager is definitely backwards compatible with 18.x clients

2. License Manager must be 19.x for 19.x clients, older version of license manager would not work from 19.x clients

3. 19.0 License Manager is good for 19.0, 19.1 and 19.2 clients but you need 19.3 License Manager for 19.3 products, you can stay on 19.3 License manager for 19.3, 19.4 releases that come next year.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks you.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

"I'm getting ready to install the ANSYS license manager onto a newer server and transfer its license from the old server to this new one. "

Make sure you contact your ANSYS Account Manager to help transferring license file to the new machine information. You can't install license install license file with old server information on the new server machine.

"We currently have 18.x clients.  I see there is a newer 19.x version.  If I install the 19.x license manager, can the older 18.x clients still check out licenses?  I assume it's backwards compatible, but wanted to be 100% sure."

You are correct. ANSYS License Manager is backward compatible meaning that all older versions of ANSYS or Ansoft can use licenses hosted by new version of ANSYS License Manager.

"Along the same lines, is it possible that newer 19.x clients check out licenses from an older 18.x license manager?  I assume not, but wanted to check my options."

You are correct. But note that this applies only for ANSYS applications (Mechanical or Fluid products), the AnsysEM or Ansoft licensing is a bit different rule.

While ANSYS applications require the same or newer 'major' release of ANSYS License Manager, the Ansoft products has no such requirement.

"If I install the latest 19.2 license manager right now and slightly newer clients get released later on (like 19.3, 19.4, etc), is an upgrade of the license manager to the same exact version required?  I'm hoping you will say that any 19.x license manager can serve out licenses to any 19.x clients."

My statements above always apply until this tricky coming year when we are changing our name convention. The versions released next year will be unofficially called 19.3, 19.4, and 19.5 (officially , it's 2019 R1, R2, and R3) . While these unofficial names still start with '19' , these are actually not really the same as 19.0-19.2 . They are totally on a different year. So, if client (Mech or Fluids) is using 19.3 , 19.4 , or 19.5 , you will need your License Manager version to be at least 19.3.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Win

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

@dsurendr @tsiriaks: Thank you both for your quick responses and very thorough answers. Much appreciated!

@tsiriaks: You mentioned AnsysEM which in fact is what our engineering students are using. In fact, I know absolutely nothing about the software itself from an engineering perspective. My role is strictly IT--to get the software installed and working and checking out and returning licenses on our license server. Since you mentioned AnsysEM, are there any special considerations relating to the backward/forward compatibility different from what you previously said?

I'm planning to install the latest ANSYS license manager onto a server where several other vendors' license managers are already installed and running... such as Autodesk, Solidworks, Mathcad, MATLAB, Xilinx, etc.  Are there any special considerations with this setup?

Is there a timeline or estimation when the license manager that would support AnsysEM 19.3 will be released? I assume if I wait for it and then update my AnsysEM license manager from its current 18.x to 19.3, it sounds like I should be able to run clients on version 18.x, 19.0-19.2, and 19.3-19.5. Or did I misunderstand something?

From an IT sysadmin perspective, which software (i.e. start menu shortcut) should I launch to make it check out a license to verify that I have everything set up correctly including the server, license, firewalls, and client license settings? If it doesn't trigger a license checkout upon launch but I need to perform a special action first, what is the simplest steps I can take and how?

Where do AnsysEM clients keep their license server settings (i.e port@server reference)? Let me know the file or registry path. (Windows)

Do AnsysEM clients support setting their port@server setting via an environment variable... such as ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE?  If so, does it override what's defined in the file/registry? (Windows)

If there's any relevant support articles relating to any of my questions, please link them here.

Sorry for the question overload. It usually takes me a long time to find out the answers to these questions myself. And with over a dozen other vendors' license managers I have to support, this can be quite time consuming when it comes time to upgrade all of them.

thanks!

Scott

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

The only difference in term of backwards compatibility of the AnsysEM products are that the client machines do not require newer version of ANSYS License Manager on the server machine. But having latest version of ANSYS License Manager installed on the server machine is always best. No need to worry about any of this since you are planning to install latest version of ANSYS License Manager, which would work with any previous releases of AnsysEM (well, if it's not like 10-year-old release)

"Is there a timeline or estimation when the license manager that would support AnsysEM 19.3 will be released? "

You should not need ANSYS License Manager v19.3 to run AnsysEM 19.3 . I think you can even use ANSYS License Manager v17.2 with AnsysEM 19.3. In either case, the License Manager always releases at the same time as ANSYS products, so no need to worry about this either. 

"I assume if I wait for it and then update my AnsysEM license manager from its current 18.x to 19.3, it sounds like I should be able to run clients on version 18.x, 19.0-19.2, and 19.3-19.5."

This is correct. But again, you don't even need latest version of License Manager to run AnsysEM 19.3.

"From an IT sysadmin perspective, which software (i.e. start menu shortcut) should I launch to make it check out a license to verify that I have everything set up correctly including the server, license, firewalls, and client license settings? If it doesn't trigger a license checkout upon launch but I need to perform a special action first, what is the simplest steps I can take and how?"

Unfortunately, this is tough to test on the server side, especially if you only have licenses for AnsysEM products. If you however have Mechanical or Fluids licenses, you can use the command

ansysli_util -checkout

to test the license checkout on the server side. Of course, this won't test the communication/firewall between client and server machines.

Note: This ansysli_util binary is under (default location)

(Windows) C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensingwinx64

(Linux) /ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/linx64

"Where do AnsysEM clients keep their license server settings (i.e port@server reference)? Let me know the file or registry path. (Windows) Do AnsysEM clients support setting their port@server setting via an environment variable... such as ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE?  If so, does it override what's defined in the file/registry? (Windows)"

There are 3 'places' the AnsysEM will look at (in this order)

1. ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable with value @

2. LM_LICENSE_FILE environment variable with value @

3. any .lic file (alphabetically) under C:Program FilesAnsysEMadmin  (default location) with the content

SERVER ANY

USE_SERVER

"If there's any relevant support articles relating to any of my questions, please link them here."

Normally we recommend people to check this link for a starter (especially the 'licensing' and 'installation' sections

https://support.ansys.com/AnsysCustomerPortal/en_us/Downloads/Installation+and+Licensing+Help+and+Tutorials

You can also check the full licensing guide here

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v192/ai_instl/licensing.html

"Sorry for the question overload. It usually takes me a long time to find out the answers to these questions myself. And with over a dozen other vendors' license managers I have to support, this can be quite time consuming when it comes time to upgrade all of them."

No worries. We understand.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any follow-up question.

Thanks,

Win

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

You might not see my edited version of the response above. Please check that again. I described the answer to that around the end of the post.

Thanks,

Win

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

I guess the forum doesn't send notifications out when replies are edited.

Can you tell me what the Interconnect Port (2325?) is for?  From what I can tell by monitoring network traffic, the only ports I see it actively communicating over is 1055 & 1056. Is 2325 only for internal communication on the server itself?  Or do any client end-user products attempt communication to the server on 2325?

Can somebody inform ANSYS web team that I'm not able to download any products?  All I'm getting are errors like this no matter what browser I use:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #30.87f1cb8.1545106717.121408a  

Thanks for your phenomenal feedback! 

Scott

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

The interconnect port (2325 by default) is used by ANSYS (Mechanical and Fluids) products for the communication between client and license server machines. They don't use Flex (default 1055) or vendor daemon (default is dynamic) ports .

If you only have AnsysEM users, it's expected that you don't see traffic for port 2325 but only see 1055 and vendor daemon ports (1056 in this case).

We have heard from our IT that the download problem is due to the security that they put in place to block access from specific IP's when too many requests are made. The configuration is set to allow only a set number of requests in a set amount of time. This is to protect against potential attacks.

This means that if you wait for a while, you should be able to download.

However, since you are the ASC of your school, we can also send you the installation package directly. Let us know what package(s) you need and we will send them to you.

Thanks,

Win

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

Hi Win,

I was able to download 19.2's "ANSYS Enterprise License Manager" just fine. But I wasn't able to download the regular "ANSYS License Manager" package and got that previously mentioned error. (FYI, I'm planning to try to install the former first and fall back to the latter if I can't get that going.)  Can you send the package to me directly? I assume this is some type of direct download URL emailed to me?

There seems to be an odd issue with the Enterprise License Manager download.  Inside of the ENTERPRISELICENSING_192_WINX64.zip file is a 'ansyslm_winx64.zip' file. This zip file seems to contain two copies of either the 'winx64' folder in it or two copies of each file in that folder. I've tried using both Windows' extraction and also a 3rd party extraction tool. During unzipping it will complain that all the files in that folder are already-existing like 'ansyslmd.exe'. I've never seen a zip file contain duplicate files in it so this is very weird. Can you report this?

Is IE 11 supported on the ANSYS support web site? I seem to be having issues both on my Win10 desktop and also on Server 2016. I keep getting an IE warning saying "ansys.com is not responding due to a long-running script".

Can you help clarify how the ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable would be defined on a client if you have different Ansys products needing to communicate on different ports for both these interconnect & flex ports? If I define it as flex_port@server (like for AnsysEM), I don't understand how the Mechanical/Fluids apps know how to communicate on the interconnect port instead.

thanks,

Scott

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

Don't use this package "ANSYS Enterprise License Manager" . This package only contains pure binaries and need some manual setup.

Please wait until you receive the "ANSYS License Manager" package" from us.

You will receive a direct email containing link that would lead you to the SecureTransfer website that stores the file.

"Is IE 11 supported on the ANSYS support web site? I seem to be having issues both on my Win10 desktop and also on Server 2016. I keep getting an IE warning saying "ansys.com is not responding due to a long-running script"."

I've never heard of such issue. However, I have just tried it on my machine (I happen to have IE 11 too) and I get the same issue. I will have to ask around about this.

"Can you help clarify how the ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable would be defined on a client if you have different Ansys products needing to communicate on different ports for both these interconnect & flex ports? If I define it as flex_port@server (like for AnsysEM), I don't understand how the Mechanical/Fluids apps know how to communicate on the interconnect port instead."

Mechanical and Fluids license servers specification are totally different. It only looks for

ANSYSLMD_LICENSE_FILE

then look for (default location)

Windows: C:Program FilesANSYS IncShared FilesLicensingansyslmd.ini

Linux: /ansys_inc/shared_files/licensing/ansyslmd.ini

with the content like

SERVER=@

ANSYSLI_SERVERS=@

You can also specify multiple servers. For more details, I recommend to read this guide

https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v192/ai_instl/client_licensing.html

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

I have confirmed with my colleague that she also has the issue with IE 11 vs ANSYS Customer Portal website.

I will file an IT ticket about this.

In the meantime, can you use some other web browser ?

Thanks,

Win

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

I can't seem to reply to this post....

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

[splitting this reply into two separate posts... part 1 of 2]

Hi Win,

I've been able to successfully install the Ansys License Manager and transfer its license to a new host. Thanks for your help on this matter.

However, I wanted to provide the following observation. I'm not sure if is a bug or by design.  Previously you had mentioned that AnsysEM will check for its license in the order of ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE, LM_LICENSE_FILE, then *.lic files under C:Program FilesAnsysEMadmin. 

For at least AnsysEM 18.01 (or 18.1--I know, it's not the latest version), I have found this to be partially true. In order to try to point our existing installs of AnsysEM to this new host, I am able to push out that ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE environment variable (via Active Directory GPO in our environment) with success. However, I have found out that the existing *.lic files are _STILL_ being referenced during some of the app launches. For example, launching 'Ansys Electronics Desktop 2017.0' will take about a minute to obtain a license from the new host and launch--which is the gist of the problem. Further diagnosis (watching the network traffic) reveals that the app will attempt to obtain the following 'UNSUPPORTED' products from the 'new server' but in between each one it will also attempt to contact these products from the 'old server' too--which is still listed in each client's 'redirect.lic' file.

20:00:27 (ansyslmd) UNSUPPORTED: hfss_desktop (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS) Administrator@L-DDPL6K1
      20:00:07 (ansyslmd) UNSUPPORTED: designer_desktop (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS) Administrator@L-DDPL6K1
      20:00:47 (ansyslmd) UNSUPPORTED: q3d_desktop (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS) Administrator@L-DDPL6K1
      20:00:57 (ansyslmd) UNSUPPORTED: maxwell_desktop (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS) Administrator@L-DDPL6K1
      20:01:07 (ansyslmd) UNSUPPORTED: simplorer_desktop (PORT_AT_HOST_PLUS) Administrator@L-DDPL6K1
      20:01:17 (ansyslmd) OUT: electronics_desktop Administrator@L-DDPL6K1  

[continued to next post]

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

[splitting this reply into two separate posts... part 2 of 2]

[FYI--this forum editor doesn't seem to notify you if a post is too long or is malformed??]

My only solution to make our clients completely stop referencing the old host is either:

1. set ANSOFTD_LICENSE_FILE=port@new_host & delete the existing 'redirect.lic' file   -or-

2. replace the existing 'redirect.lic' file with one that replaces 'old_host' with 'new_host'

Which method is preferred or considered best practice?

And I wanted to get your feedback on the license 'order of preference' and the expected behavior when licenses happen to be specified in multiple places--a bug or by design?

thanks!

Scott

• JakeC
      Ansys Employee

Hi scottcopus,

For now the "UNSUPPORTED" warnings are by design.  The names for the features have changed, but until everyone is running the latest versions, the applications still need to search for the old feature names.

As Win had mentioned, it will search the environment variables, then then the .lic files, so if it doesn't find what it is looking for (potentially the unsupported feature names) it will move on to the next item in the search order, which would be the .lic files.

I would suggest removing all of the redirect*.lic files from the admin directory or updating them to the correct server.

Shortening the number of items to search will help speed up the launch of the applications.

Thank you,

Jake

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Scott,

Good news on the License Manager setup.

I agree with everything Jake has mentioned. Unfortunately, the licenses order of preference are something that you can't change. It's hard-coded in the software so that it looks for those licenses (the ones you see as 'unsupported' because you don't have them) in that order. Unfortunately, this also means that it looks for each of those licenses on ALL servers being specified before it attempts to look for the next license in the license checkout order list. 

Let us know if you have any other questions; otherwise, please mark this thread as resolved.

Thanks,

Win

• scottcopus
      Subscriber

Win, Jake, @dsurendr, thanks for all your help!

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

You are welcome Scott !

Happy New Year !

Win

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.