Electronics

Electronics

Ansys Maxwell 2D uses excessive disc space

• Jake
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am having an issue with my computer or setup when I am running a parametric analysis. In this parametric analysis my computer is crashing due to excessive disc space by some component of the simulation. My setup is the following. I have geometry of a motor parametrized in Solidworks, using global variables. I have the Solidworks model imported into Workbench. I have Workbench connected to Ansys Maxwell 2D. In Ansys Maxwell 2D I am using a magnetostatic solver. The Solidworks model has 6 global variables that can manipulate the geometry. I also am using a global variable defined in Ansys Maxwell 2D, which allows me to rotate the stator at degree increments. I have a virtual torque measurement on the stator, and a balloon as the boundary. To simulate I am loading an excel file, which specifies the geometry and angle of the stator.  

I would like to know what is using this excessive disc space. Is there a better method to running parametric simulations. If so a detailed explanation would be very nice to have.

Thank you 

• pgl
      Ansys Employee

Have you tried using the Optimetrics application available with Maxwell?

See here.

• Jake
      Subscriber

I am running a Monte Carlo analysis, so I need the flexibility to import an excel file that contains my randomly generated geometry parameters. Have you, or anyone at Ansys ever connected Solidworks to Maxwell 2D? 

• Jake
      Subscriber

Hello PGL,

So I have a better grasp of my problem now. On my computer I have 2 drives called c and e. The e drive has the most space, and the c drive is almost full. I have the working directory and temporary directory of Ansys workbench set to the e drive. When I run my simulations as described above, the temporary files are being stored on the c drive. Why is this occurring? Additionally, the temporary files are quite large in size, require a lot of disc space, and they do not go away after the simulation is complete. Is there any way of limiting the size of these temporary files?

Thank you,

Jake

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.