Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Ansys Mechanical 2022 R2 showing gray screen on launch

• cmn10
      Subscriber

I have a lab of 27 computers.  All were running Ansys Mechanical 2022 R2 successfully for the past month.  I was just notified that half of the computers are showing a gray screen when Mechanical 2022 R2 is started now.  Has anyone encountered this before?   Thanks.

• George Karnos
      Ansys Employee

Gray screen usually means graphics driver needs updated/unsupported graphics card.

First, try the following:
      Make sure no ANSYS Programs are running.
      Under %APPDATA%\Ansys

a directory named v222 will exist.
      Rename this directory to v222.old

Now try to run.
      If this doesn't fix the issue, check on updating the graphics driver.
      Also, were there any updates to the machines that dont work?

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hi George,

Thanks for the response.  It's strange only half of the PC's in the lab are not working currently.  They all have the same hardware.  I have attached screenshots of the Ansys directory of a non-working and working PC.

We upgraded from version R2022 R1 to R2.  Can I delete the v221 folder?  What are the .dat files?  I renamed the v222 folder in my dir to v222.old and still got the gray screen.  I upgraded the nvidia drivers for the RTX A4000, rebooted and I still get the gray screen.  Ansys was working before when it was first installed.  Nothing else was installed that I am aware of.  What else could be the issue?

thanks,

Chris

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hi George,

I also see an error as attached.

thanks,

Chris

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hi George,  I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling on one of the PC's but it didn't help.  Is there anything else we can try?  I don't understand how it was working for a month for all PC's in the lab that have the same hardware specs and now only half of them are working.

thanks,

Chris

• Mangesh Bhide
      Ansys Employee

Hello please try the steps about path and registering dlls suggested by George at
      https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/big-problem-with-static-structural-model/

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hello,   I logged in as admin to the PC and did this and Ansys opens up okay now.  Does every student need to perform the same steps?

• Mangesh Bhide
        Ansys Employee

This should only be needed one-time on each affected PC

it should not be necessary for non administrator users to repeat these steps

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Basically, does every student need that logs into the PC I fixed, need to do the same steps or is it fixed globally for all users?

• Mangesh Bhide
        Ansys Employee

The administrator running these steps once should fix for the whole computer (i.e. all users who use it)

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hi Mangesh, even if every student has a v222 folder under their own login, they don't all need to rename it to v222.old?  Thanks.

• Mangesh Bhide
      Ansys Employee

I think only registering the .dlls did the trick. Can you check on one of the remaining PCs if you have not run it on all PCs yet ?

if that does not help then the students may need to rename the %appdata%\........\v222 folder

• cmn10
      Subscriber

I can check by only doing dlls, but what about changing the environment PATH?

• Mangesh Bhide
      Ansys Employee

right... dlls and path, but not appdata

• cmn10
      Subscriber

I had to do the appdata on some of the PC's because when I started ansys, multiple script errors were popping up on the screen.  I will wait until the class is over at 6pm est and let you know if all is good.  Thanks.

• Mangesh Bhide
      Ansys Employee

great ! I hope this fixes it for all affected PCs
      If I were to blindly guess then I would guess that some system update or installation of other programs may have affected the .dlls or path.

Control Panel >> Programs >> sort by date just might shed some light on what could have triggered this

• cmn10
      Subscriber

Hi Mangesh,  The problem is now resolved.  Thank you for your help.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.