Ansys Products

Ansys Products

ANSYS Mechanical ADPL Launcher Error

• sosterth
      Subscriber

Good afternoon.

I am encountering the following error when running Ansys Mechanical ADPL 19.1 as a non-administrative user under Windows 10:

can't create directory "unable to get value "AppData" from key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER": no such file or directory

The software works fine under an administrative account on the same machine so it seems to be a permissions related issue.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?  Please advise and thanks in advance!

-Sean

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi sosterth,

Login with your user account, then type %appdata% in Windows Search or Windows File Explorer Address Bar.  Does this lead you to path something like C:UsersAppDataRoaming  ?

Also open CMD Prompt and type 

set appdata

Is this the same path ?

What about

set userprofile

is this = C:Users   ?

If all of the above are correct/consistent, on the Windows Search box, type regedit , see if you can open this and if so, see if you can access

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerUser Shell Folders

and look if you have the key called AppData with value similar to above checks.

Was ANSYS installed with 'run as administrator' ? Since your username doesn't have admin rights, I would assume your IT was the one that installed it ?

Thank you,

Win

• tonin
      Subscriber

Although this thread is old, the solution for this is to create AppData REG_SZ value on HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerShell Folders with the value %USERPROFILE%AppDataRoaming

It seems that the launcher search this key instead "User Shell Folders". In VDI environments (at least with citrix xendesktop), this key isn't used in favour of "User Shell Folders", but ansys use the old key.

In a personal computer, create the key with regedit. In an VDI or SBC environment, use a GPPREF to set it for all users.

• JakeC
      Ansys Employee

Thanks Tonin!

• RBY
      Subscriber
      what can i do ?n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.