General Mechanical

General Mechanical

ANSYS Mechanical Topology Optimization with two AM overhang constraints

• christopher
      Subscriber

Hello,

I would like to do a topology optimization of an assambly of two parts as shown below. The parts must be build in two pieces and for reasons the build direction of Part 1 and Part 2 are in different directions. In ANSYS Mechanical I just find the option to define the AM overhang constraint for the entire optimization space.

Is it possible somehow to define different AM overhang constraints for both parts?

Kind regards

Christopher Hein

Problem Definition

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Christopher,

The AM Overhang Constraint creates an Overhang Angle constraint that uses the input of Overhang Angle and Build Direction to create self-supporting structures. The main idea is that a structure optimized using AM Overhang Constraint can then be 3D printed without adding supports. Based on what you are showing, I don't think it is even feasible to print that part? Printing typically happens incrementally in the +ve Z-Direction.

You can try using the manufacturing constraint or the symmetry constraint? For these constraints, you can use geometry selection or the named selections.

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Best Practices on the Student Community

• christopher
      Subscriber

Thanks for your answer.

Both parts would be printed as single pieces and have a slightly different geometry. Just in the load case they are in contact. And there are reasons why each of them has to be printed in the shown direction.

Kind regards,

Christopher

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Ahh, I see. Please note these important points about the Manufacturing constraint:

Important:  Note the following restrictions and requirements. The AM Overhang Constraint:

• Can be specified only once in a Topology Optimization analysis.

• Cannot be used in combination with the Manufacturing Constraints Member Size (with Maximum Member Size defined), Extrusion, or Pull Out Direction.

• If used with Symmetry Manufacturing Constraint, the Build Direction of the AM Overhang constraint must be in the symmetry plane.

• If used with the Cyclic Manufacturing Constraint, the Build Direction of the AM Overhang constraint must be parallel to the Axis selection of the Cyclic constraint.

P.S: Please close discussions when your original question has been answered. Guidelines on S.C.

Regards,
      Sandeep

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.