Fluids

Fluids

[ANSYS Meshing] Trapezoidal channel meshing

• jose francisco
      Subscriber

Hello!
      I'm trying to achieve a mesh like the one attached. I've tried using face meshing + edge sizing while sweeping the mesh throughout the channel, but the results are not even close, with high skewness.

I'm importing the geometry from SolidWorks.

Could someone help me with the best way to achieve a mesh similar to this one? I'm new to meshing processes.

• NickFL
      Subscriber
      It looks like that geometry is deconstructed into sweepable bodies and formed into a Multibody Part in ANSYS DesignModeler. This is commonly done to give us more control over the mesh. An alternative way would be to use viritual topology in ANSYS Meshing, but this does not give you the exactness you would have in DM.
      • jose francisco
        Subscriber

Is it possible to do this process in SpaceClaim with the imported geometry? I just took a look on the split body function but I don't think this is the appropriate one and I cannot access DesignModeler. 

In the future I plan to do multiple channels like this together, would it be a quick process to deconstruct all the channels and do that or would it be better to do it differently?

Thank you for your reply!

• NickFL
          Subscriber

I am not a SpaceClaim expert, but I expect you could. Basically you would draw that pattern on the channel face and slice using extrude (or sweep if there are curves) along the channel.

Maybe a SpaceClaim guy can jump in here with some better advice.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You can slice in SpaceClaim, from memory it's the "split" function and you'll need surfaces in the right places. It'll be covered in the tutorials, and potentially in Learning on here. Note Discovery is the newer tool but the interface is more-or-less the same as SpaceClaim. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Suppose the main question is why you need that mesh. An inflated swept mesh will give you about what you see above. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.