3D Design

3D Design

ANSYS Model Not Scaled Correctly

• Limaz55
      Subscriber

Hi Community,

I am working on a project in ANSYS where I imported three .inp files from ABAQUS. I then linked them all to a static structural simulation, but once I started looking at the simulation results, I noticed the max stresses were very very small. I then noticed the scale of my model was off and that the bone/implant model I am working with is over 6 meters tall instead of being about 200 millimeters tall.

Does anyone know how I can correct the geometry back to the actual dimensions? It appears ANSYS auto scaled my geometry up in value and I do not know how to fix this.

Thanks!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      There are no units in an ABAQUS input file, only numbers.
      ANSYS can't know what units are in that file, only you know that.
      Before you import into ANSYS, you must set the units in ANSYS to match the units that you know are in that file. ANSYS doesn't auto-scale.
      After making this mistake, try opening the Geometry in SpaceClaim and use the Scale button on the Pull tool. That works on solids, I don't know what type of geometry you have.
    • Limaz55
      Subscriber
      The model I was working with was a SolidWorks assembly (in millimeters) that was imported to ABAQUS for meshing. I then imported the ABAQUS .inp files (3 total for the 3 different parts of the assembly). I tried changing the units at the top of Workbench to mm based and re-importing, but it did not work. The model is now much smaller than it should be, rather than being much larger like before. If you look at the "ANSYS Import Model Setup" image above in my first post, there is also no way of accessing SpaceClaim, so I am unsure what to do. Do you have any other suggestions?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Make a very simple part in SolidWorks, like a unit cube, 1 mm on each side with one corner at the origin. Bring that into ABAQUS and mesh it with one linear hex element. Look at the numbers in the .inp file, do you see the 0.0 and 1.0 values for the grid? Now import that into ANSYS. What do you get?
      If you get something other than 1.0 in mm in ANSYS, then that would be a bug in the ANSYS Import Model code. You can provide all that data here as a bug report.
      If you get a 1 mm cube in ANSYS, then it is something about your complex model that is the problem. You can also provide that as the bug report, but that is more difficult to find the problem.
      I suggest you bring the SolidWorks file into SpaceClaim, then mesh it in ANSYS Mechanical.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.