Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Ansys using MacBook Pro 16 inch hardware resources

• felipebazo
      Subscriber

Hi, I'm a Mechanical Engineering licentiate degree student, starting a design and analysis course that will use Ansys to some extent. I have a new MacBook Pro 16 inch with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB graphics card, 16GB of RAM, and 500GB of SSD storage.

I have examined some options discussing using Parallels or any other Virtual Machine vs using BootCamp to install Windows 10 on a partition. Until now, even though I want to use wisely my 500GB of storage, I believe it's better to use BootCamp to use all my hardware resources on Windows and on Ansys, and not running both OS at the same time. However, I was trying to find compatibility and support of my installed graphics card but what i can find on Graphics Card Requirements and Cards Tested is the support for the Radeon Pro that would come on PCs and Windows laptops. 

I want to know if I install Windows and Ansys (and Solidworks) on BootCamp, would the software be able to use the hardware resources, or would it run with the integrated basic graphics card? Would there then be a difference in performance if I run them in a VM?

Any help would be appreciated, as it's my first computer with a dedicated graphics card, plus it's my first experience with Ansys.

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

MacBook, regardless of which virtual technology to run a Guest OS on it, is never officially tested with ANSYS. So, the results could vary. I've seen some cases who successfully used bootcamp with ANSYS as well as some who were not as lucky. The Parallels and Bootcamp seem to handle CPU and graphics better than others, so if you want to try, either of these would be the best bet for you but we can't guarantee the result as it's not tested.

Please reach out to BootCamp expert about the help configuring it so that it properly/correctly does the 3D acceleration passthrough to your Windows Guest OS.

Thanks,

Win

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.