General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Ansys with external SSD

Tagged: 

• keypad00
      Subscriber

Hi,

I set up a simple 3D static structural contact model and everything works fine until I reduce the mesh size by too much.

The solution information file tells me:

An error has occurred writing to the file = 3 which may imply a full  disk.                                                                  

The system I/O error = 28. Please refer to your system documentation on I/O errors.    

My question is if I should buy an external SSD to write the temporary files to or if this could cause any issues. Would I have to reinstall Ansys on the external drive? Furthermore I'd like to ask if there might be any other options to resolve the problem? I want to make sure that the lack of disk space is the real problem, however, it does seem to be the case quite clearly.

My free disk space is 13 GB btw and the solution info told me that it had written 6 GB in a run with a coarser mesh which worked.

Thank you in advance

• keypad00
      Subscriber
      Edit:
      I now bought an external Samsung T7 SSD and created a project on it, which works all fine. Although the external SSD provides a lower speed than the internal one, this doesn't seem to limit the performance significantly.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello I'm glad that writing on external SSD is working for you.
      But, I'd be wary of using this approach frequently, especially when running simulations on Workbench. The better alternative is to free up space by archiving files on the external SSD and using the in-built hard drive for your simulations.
      Karthik
    • keypad00
      Subscriber
      Hello Kremella thank you for your answer. You are right, Ansys still also uses the internal SSD and not only the external one. The example I tried first just gave a wrong impression. My problem is, that I have many programs on the internal SSD I can't move that easily, however, I could remove some files so that at least I have 40 GB free on the internal drive now.
    • Karthik R
      Administrator
      Yes, please do that. It would be a good workaround.
      Karthik
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.