Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Ansys workstation and graphics card

• gopinath1983
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have seen below discussion about workstation and am planning to buy workstation with 32GB RAM, 8 core processor (i7 9700K) and windows 10. My requirements would be Ansys mechanical and fluent (Expected to be medium level problem).I have two queries

1) Could you please let me know if the above mentioned configuration is good enough ?

2) Regarding graphics card; many of the graphics cards are tested in either windows 7 or Linux. Now, as we know windows 7 will not be supported in many of the processors.Now my question here is, can we have any graphics card which is listed in Ansys page or we SHOULD go with graphics with windows 10 tested.    

I am looking for entry level graphics card now, may be 2GB. I will upgrade it later

https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/please-recommend-the-configuration-of-the-computer-workstation/

Could you please help me here ?

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi gopinath1983,

Are you going to use the ANSYS Student (free) version or ANSYS Academic (paid) version ?

If the former, you have nodes/elements/cells limitation and your 32GB of RAM would be definitely more than enough. 

If the latter, please give a rough estimate of maximum number of nodes/elements/cells that you may be using in your simulation.

Your number of cores and processor seems good to me. Make sure that hyperthreading is off so that you just use the 8 real physical cores.

As for graphics card, here is the recommendation

https://www.ansys.com/-/media/ansys/corporate/files/pdf/solutions/it-professionals/platform-support/graphical-display-graphics-cards-tested-2019-r2.pdf?

I would not worry about Windows 7 vs Windows 10 as long as the card model (version) is in this list.

Note: This is a recommendation not a hard requirement. We've a lot of students and some customers who don't have dedicated graphics card (just pure integrated graphics from their chip) but they can use ANSYS just fine ; however , this is not guaranteed to be the case on all systems.

Thanks,

Win

• gopinath1983
      Subscriber

Thank you sir...

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

You are welcome.

If this answers all your questions, please mark this thread as 'resolved' ('Is Solution')

Thanks,

Win

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.