Materials

Materials

Anyone experience in how to model a glass filled polyamide (Nylon)

• Rcgzantvoo
      Subscriber

Hi all, 

I've been looking for the correct material model to use to make Ultramid A3WG6 (Link) according to available data of Campus Plastics, see link. Currently used a Multilinear Isotropic Hardening model but I do not know till what point the material is acting linear and when plasticity starts. I even do not know if the material will deform or that it needs to be a multilinear elastic model. 

Furthermore creep, temperature dependancy and (optional) fiber orientatione are needed and I do not have any experience in modelling these. Maybe someone already have modelled this material or a similar one and would like to give me some guidance. All data I have available is in the link to Campus Plastics.

Hope someone can help me out here.

Rick

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Hi Rick,

The link you shared has a stress-strain curve for the material. Try using extracting the points on the curve using x-y plot tool.

Regards,

Ashish Khemka

• David Mercier
      Ansys Employee

Hi, If you have access to a Granta products (EduPack for teaching or Selector for Research), you'll have access to similar databases to the Campus Platics one.

Below a screenshot of results you can get in terms of material properties for the Nylon66 in Granta Selector.

You have different records given the state of the polymer (dry vs conditioned...) and from different sources. Export function exists and data are already digitalized so no need to redo it and you can export easily to most common commercial FE softwares.

Cheers

David

• David Mercier
      Ansys Employee

In terms of properties defined as a function of fiber orientations, 2 solutions for you:

And for material properties as a function of Temperature, you have a lot of data into the JAHM database included in Granta Selector.

https://www.jahm.com/

Cheers

David

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.