General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Applied load analysis using Static Structural Analysis

• tkennedy97
      Subscriber

I'm trying to simulate the deformation due to two distributed loads on a structure. The two loads, indicated B and C, are the same value at -1.7lbf/in in the y component, modeled using line pressure. A is a fixed support.

My current problem is that while a fixed support allows the simulation to work, I want that face to be able to deform, which making it a fixed support prevents. I am unsure as to what other support I should use. I've tried elastic support along the same face with an arbitrary foundation stiffness, but I received an error saying:

"Solver pivot warnings or errors have been encountered during the solution.  This is usually a result of an ill conditioned matrix possibly due to unreasonable material properties, an under constrained model, or contact related issues.  Check results carefully."

At the end of the day I'm just trying to observe the deformation on the structure as a whole due to an applied load along the tops of the two cylinders. Any recommendations as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

• peternewmancsh
      Subscriber

Why did you pick that face to be a fixed support?  It doesn't look like it is bonded to something fixed.

It looks to me like the face that is in the XZ plane on the bottom of the structure is what might be touching ground. If that is touching ground, instead of making it fixed, you could set it to be a Compression Only support.  Under Analysis Settings, turn on Weak Springs to avoid the solver pivot warnings you might get.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.