General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Apply load on a deformed geometry

• ashish35
      Subscriber

Hello,

My loading case is as follows:

I first specified a remote point and remembered it using "my_pilot=_npilot" APDL command. Then,

Step-1: Applied a remote displacement (displacement defined in time 0-1) in one end of a beam keeping other fixed (the end is fixed throughout all steps)

Step-2: A null step to hold the beam in deformed position (I executed this command in this step: "D,my_pilot,ALL,%_FIX%")

Step-3: Applied force using "F,my_pilot,FZ,100".

This solution runs fine until step-2 but the model does not have any effect of the applied force. Could anyone help me on this?

Best,

Ashish

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi Ashish,

I am moving this post to the Structural Mechanics Category and adding some tags.

Coming to your question are you using the 'allsel' option? and is this still for additive, are you using this in static structural?

It would be helpful if you can post some pictures and explain?

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Best Practices to post on the Student Community

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Ashish,

Step-2 holds the my_pilot node fixed, so I don't expect a force applied to that node in Step-3 to have any affect on its deformation.

I have used the %_FIX% code when I applied a force in Step-1, and I didn't know in advance how far the displacement would be at the end of step-1, but I wanted to hold the end fixed at whatever position it was at, then apply some other load in step 2, like a pressure over the deformed shape.

Regards,
      Peter

• ashish35
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep and Peter,

Peter, I really appreciate your suggestion, I made a very silly mistake. This solved my case.

Sandeep, Yes, it's all related to additive simulated parts with me. Thank you for your help as welll.

Best,

Ashish

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.