General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Applying factors for thermal in Static Structural

• jason.logan
      Subscriber

Hi, I've completed a Steady state Thermal run and fed the temperature profile into a Static Structural run and imported body temperatures. The static run will also contain pressure, gravity, and remote forces acting on the structure. Because I'm designing to certain codes, each of these inputs will have different factors applied.

My question is, are there any means of factoring up the impact of stress due to thermal expansion separately from the other inputs?

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Hi

You can use multiple steps, one where the thermal load is on, then for the second it is off and then there you apply a pressure (which is off 0 in the first step), and so on and so forth. One can have combinations in a step as needed.

All the best

Erik

• jason.logan
      Subscriber

Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid it doesn't solve my problem. My issue is trying to factor up stresses in the results due to thermal expansion, not turning it on and off in other combinations.

For example, one of the codes I'm working with requires dead loads to be factored x1.35 (i.e. gravity x1.35), live loads x1.5 (i.e. operational pressure & forces x 1.5), and thermal x1.2 (i.e. stress due to temp changes x1.2). Worst load case is all of these occuring at the same time.

The first two are simple enough to do, factor up the input values. But I'm struggling to see if there is a way to do it for thermal. 

One method I thought of is simply increasing the thermal expansion coefficient proportionally but that might not work with multiple materials working together. 

Otherwise, I would have to do a conservative approach and run thermal by itself and factor it up the stresses and add it to the 'static without thermal' stresses.

Regards,

Jason

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

Perhaps this works and in  combination with the above

Use solution combinations : see help manual for more info and search the internet - thank you

Erik

Manages solutions that are derived from the results of one or more environments. See the Solution Combinations section for additional information about the use of this feature

• jason.logan
      Subscriber

Solution Combination does allow factoring up thermal cases. That solved my issue.

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

Jason

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Applying factors for thermal in Static Structural’ is closed to new replies.