General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Applying rotational velocity on rotor

• Venk2286
      Subscriber

Hello all,

I'm presently solving a problem where I have a rotor on which multiple components are mounted using screws.We have understood 600rpm is enough to rotate the whole model which weighs ~750gms.

My objective is to understand the deformations of x,y & z components which are mounted on the rotor.

In simulation I have applied 62.8 rad/s angular velocity on rotor alone (1 body), I have not selected any other components.

Should I apply angular velocity only on rotor (since a motor will spin the rotor alone) OR should i select all the components (all bodies) & apply angular velocity.

• SaiD
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

What kind of analysis is this? Static or Transient? If it is a Static Structural analysis, then applying a Rotational Velocity boundary condition accounts for the structural effects due to rotation. Since all the components are rotating, it should be applied to All Bodies.

Hope this helps,

Sai

• Venk2286
      Subscriber

Thanks Sai,

I'm simulating as a static structural problem. Infact i have solved using a RBD for the same model, where I have applied angular rotation on the joint. With the same analogy shouldn't we apply angular rotation only on the part which is going to be rotated ( Rotor).

• Wenlong
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

Since it is the rotor that's driving the rotation of other parts, I would only apply rotational velocity to the rotor. A revolute joint can be a good way to model it. 

Regards,

Wenlong

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.